• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do I identify the make of my driveshafts

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Maybe I’m misreading some of the venders’ descriptions BUT 1) how to tell if I’ve got a Dana or Spicer driveshaft and 2) are there specialty tools required to rebuild both drivrshafts (I had front and rear driveshafts made w/o CV joints on the 72).
Appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, criticisms…

Randy

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Dana/Spicer is the same company. As for tools nothing really special, can be done with a pair of pliers and a hammer but a large vice and ball joint press make it much easier. It takes some patience to get the CV apart and back together, watch a few YouTube videos, it will save some grief. Me I push the easy button, carry them to the driveshaft shop, but I’m spoiled have one literally next door to my office.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
And don't forget not to be in a hurry cause you might:

A) get the wrong u-joints
B) finally get the right ones and one fight you going in and crack the cap
C) I forgot what C was but you get the point.

don't ask how I know...

you can order from Amazon and return the wrong ones, or you can prob order from one of the vendors and be more confident you got the right ones the first time.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Maybe I’m misreading some of the venders’ descriptions BUT 1) how to tell if I’ve got a Dana or Spicer driveshaft and 2) are there specialty tools required to rebuild both drivrshafts (I had front and rear driveshafts made w/o CV joints on the 72).
Appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, criticisms…

Randy
OK. There are three answers to this question depending on why you are asking.

For the first 20 years of Early Bronco ownership, the distinction between driveshaft manufacture was SOLELY to determine whether you had the Borg-Warner, or the Spicer style transfer case yokes. The u-joints and yokes are not cross-compatible. So if you wanted replacement components, you needed to know which yokes you had.

For the next 20 years, a number of driveshaft makers came on the scene, and generally used Spicer components, but built various combinations of smaller tubes, higher strength, longer travel, and higher angle driveshafts. (I consider Spicer, Neapco, and Moog as all "similar.")

In the past 15 years, a number of driveshaft makers have been using inferior imported materials and sub-standard components to assemble replacement shafts. These shafts "meet OEM specifications" but are vastly inferior to the originals. (this is the primary reason why imported products are junk. It isn't because they don't meet specs. They do meet spec. It just that the specs are crap.)

So what are you trying to get to? You say you already had driveshafts made without cv joints on the 72. So does that mean you somehow managed to change your engine and transfer case angle to match the rear pinion angle, and you swapped out the output yoke on the Dana 20 to allow for u-joint straps instead of CV bolts? The factory made them with a different bolt pattern so that your can't accidentally mix them up.

If you are rebuilding a single Cardan driveshaft and simply servicing the u-joint, then the answer is "yes, there are special tools" and "no, you don't need them." I have replaced u-joints on the trail with hammers, screwdrivers, and rocks. The double cardan H-block is harder to service without a good puller...but it can be done in a vice. But you said you are running non-CV. Assuming you went back with a long travel 1310 series yoke/shaft set up, you should be able to service that yourself. And you will need to know how, because it is going to eat u-joints.

Won't be so bad in the front driveshaft, because you will drive with your hubs unlocked most of the time. You can think of the term CV as "Constant Velocity" but you can also associate it with "Control Vibration" So at low speeds, you really don't need CV. The biggest problem is when someone uses a single cardan shaft but aims the pinion at the transfer case. The resulting u-joint angular acceleration due to the angle is not cancelled in the opposite joint...so a harmonic is created as the pinion accelerates and decelerates every revolution. Depending on MANY factors, the rear u-joints will expire in about 5000 miles. Not a problem if you keep them lubricated and serviced. But it will usually puke the driveshaft out of the Bronco at the worst possible time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In other words Randy, we need to see pictures. :)
Also, if you click on the driveshaft section of our website, there is a description with pictures showing the difference between Borg Warner and Dana/Spicer.
But that only applies to double Cardan Driveshafts.

And that’s just basic information, which doesn’t fit the description of your question and requested answer, and advice.
Hence the request for pictures…

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
An assumption (risky, I know) to add clarity (maybe).
Randy is asking about a CV drive shaft in his 77 half cab, and mentions a previous 72 that a PO replaced CV shaft with non-CV (bad choice).

Last edited:

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
My 69 had single u joint shafts someone cobbled in there somewhere along the way. I bought a used rear shaft from a member on here and swapped both yokes on the D20 back to original type, I think I got them from WH. So if you're asking about converting back to double cardan, it's simple and only requires $$. I resealed the D20 while I was at it. Rebuilding a double cardan shaft is another story, one I have zero experience with.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
With a CV style they are a pain to work with. A press like a vise makes it easier as you aren“t hitting to get the caps back in. It is helpful to be able to support the driveshaft while working the caps back in As well. The last one seems to be the most finicky for me. The needle bearings can get out of position easily probably more so if the temps are warmer outside and the grease is not as firm. I’ve seen people recommend putting the caps in the freezer to get the grease stiff and help keep the needles in place. Not tried it myself, but should have the last time as I had to go at it a second time because I knocked one loose the first try. There is a slight taper on the end of the cross shafts but they can still bump the needles out of place. Like Yeller not my favorite task.

PS Just hit me that the freezer might make the caps slide in a tad bit easier as well!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
An assumption (risky, I know) to add clarity (maybe).
Randy is aking about a CV drive shaft in his 77 half cab, and mentions a previous 72 that a PO replaced CV shaft with non-CV (bad choice).
^^^^^this is what I was trying to ask. Shouldn’t have muddied the water with a separate vehicle. Will try to get pics posted.
Thanks for patience.

Randy

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
First pic-front driveshaft. Second pic-rear driveshaft. As far as I know, these are original to the ‘birth’ of this EB.
Sorry for the confusion.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3177.jpeg
    IMG_3177.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 40

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Yup, they look factory to me.
I'm sure that they came from a factory. But I don't think that they came like that from the Ford factory.

Am I seeing things, or does it look like there is a full circumference weld bead at the slip yoke end on the tube side? About 2-3 inches from the weld. I'm guessing that someone lengthened it by adding a sleeve and joining two shafts. I've never seen Ford put a balance weight 3 inches up from the yoke. But those do look like factory weights.

It does look like the Factory Spicer 2.5 inch thinwall shafts. But that rear shaft slip yoke dust cap is not familiar. All of the Broncos that I know use the early design with the threaded cap and the cork gasket...just like the front one. That rubber style slip joint seal came out at about the same time as the blue plastic coating on the splines. But I don't get to work on many 1977's.

If I had to guess, I'd say stock D44 Spicer double cardan 1310 front shaft, and stretched spicer double cardan 1310 rear shaft with upgraded slip yoke.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m going to pull them in the very near future so I can clean them up and get better pics. Not having a lift, I was lying on the floor trying to get a shot past the PS muffler.
I appreciate everyone for their input/suggestions/knowledge.

Randy

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I’m going to pull them in the very near future so I can clean them up and get better pics. Not having a lift, I was lying on the floor trying to get a shot past the PS muffler.
I appreciate everyone for their input/suggestions/knowledge.

Randy
While you are under there, take a measurement from yoke to yoke BEFORE you pull them. That will tell you all you need to know...especially if you need to order new ones. (Make certain that you are at your desired static ride height.)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I had to guess, I'd say stock D44 Spicer double cardan 1310 front shaft, and stretched spicer double cardan 1310 rear shaft with upgraded slip yoke.
I'd have to agree with that assessment.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I'm sure that they came from a factory. But I don't think that they came like that from the Ford factory.

Am I seeing things, or does it look like there is a full circumference weld bead at the slip yoke end on the tube side? About 2-3 inches from the weld. I'm guessing that someone lengthened it by adding a sleeve and joining two shafts. I've never seen Ford put a balance weight 3 inches up from the yoke. But those do look like factory weights.

It does look like the Factory Spicer 2.5 inch thinwall shafts. But that rear shaft slip yoke dust cap is not familiar. All of the Broncos that I know use the early design with the threaded cap and the cork gasket...just like the front one. That rubber style slip joint seal came out at about the same time as the blue plastic coating on the splines. But I don't get to work on many 1977's.

Never noticed it until you mentioned it, but it does indeed appear to be a full circle weld. If I had to guess, I’d say they added a section of tubing to make the driveshaft fit more appropriately with the 3 1/2” lift. Now I’m wondering about the front shaft being the correct length for the lift.

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or it was damaged and they replaced the lower part?
Could have been lengthened, as many people run into the need with lifted Broncos. Or think they do, when the rear pinion is pointed too far down and that pulls the shaft out further.
Most of us with 3.5 inches of lift did not need to lengthen our driveshafts. Front or rear...

Paul