• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much lift can be used with stock driveshafts?

ammowaster

Still working on a plan for my 77. How much lift can I add and not worry about driveshafts? Seems like there are a few opinions out there for all kinds of stuff including brake lines and driveshafts.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Do you mean length of driveshafts or driveshaft angles? I’ve got a 3 1/2 suspension lift and haven’t had any Ill effects…yet. Of course, it hasn’t been thrashed off road yet either, so you might want to get some more opinions.

Randy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The front doesn't really change. The radius arms are about the same length as the shaft so there is almost no length change.

The rear is where stuff starts happening. As you roll the pinion up and fix the rear U-joint angle, the need for a longer shaft lessens. 2½" might need a longer shaft, 3½"is more likely to need a shaft. How likely? Is it even a stock shaft to start with? Are you doing any long travel work with the suspension? The CV could be binding before any other limitations, that is bad (destructive) to the CV. As for length, you don't want it to bottom out. Also watch for over extension, typically that is where you start seeing the splines pulling out of the grease seal. Not just staticly, dynamicly. It is bad enough to come out of a dip in the road the the shaft pull apart, can be worse if it almost pulls apart, binds up, and trys to compress.

OP
OP
A

ammowaster

I assume everything on it is stock but haven't inspected it closely to find out. It's sagging pretty bad now. Bad enough I can't even fully turn without significant rubbing. I'm thinking a fresh suspension will make it easier to move around and get under so it will probably be on the short list.

My problem is I have no idea where this thing is going to end up build wise. Don't even know if I'm going to cut the rear fenders. If I could do a 2.5" lift and still have the stock components work that would be an easy choice. I know there are some 1" or 1.5" lifts too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As said, pinion angle has a lot to do with it.
I have 3 1/2 inches of lift and have been running the stock original shaft and then a stock length replacement for years without any problem. Including some pretty serious wheeling.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting close to installing a 3.5 inch lift on my Bronco and am interested in this as well. As for the drive shaft/pinion angle, how many degrees should it be shimmed to correct the issue, and do the shims just slide in and sit between the spring and the spring perch or do they need to be bolted together with the spring pack?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm getting close to installing a 3.5 inch lift on my Bronco and am interested in this as well. As for the drive shaft/pinion angle, how many degrees should it be shimmed to correct the issue, and do the shims just slide in and sit between the spring and the spring perch or do they need to be bolted together with the spring pack?
No fixed answer. There is enough variables in the spring packs that any single answer will only be valid with that spring. Add in transmission swaps and there are even more variables. The only way to know what fits your Bronco is to measure your bronco and get shims that match your needs.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was running a Tom Woods(stock - 2.5" lift) shaft on a 2.5 lift using angled blocks on stock leaf springs. Under a hard stop, the worn springs allowed enough axle wrap to stretch the driveshaft past the splines allowing it to separate. Something to keep in mind if everything is stock and you have a lift.

armynavy17

Contributor
See here to figure out your shim angle. They should be bolted to the spring pack, you'll need some c-clamps to keep the pack compressed. Also, when you take your angle measurements, the vehicle needs to be at it's intended ride height, ie. After you've installed the new lift and the body's on, spare tire installed, 50lbs tool bag, full gas tank, etc. You can put sandbags in the bed to approximate the weight of all those things if you're not ready to put all that in/on the bronco.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/pinion-angle.309907/post-3371738