• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much lift do I have?

fuentesfranko

Might be a dumb question but here we go:
I purchased a 76' Bronco recently and I'm wondering if there's a way to know if I have stock height or if there's a lift on it?
What should I measure? What should I look for?

Thanks!

0WfYiqU.jpg

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Bc had it on their sit but I cant find it. Wh may have it also. Theres a frame to axle tube measurement to go by.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Measure between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails at each corner.
The front is approx. 7" stock, while the rear is 6" stock. Approximately...

So anything over those measurements is the amount of lift, while anything below those numbers is the amount your stock springs have sagged.
The reason these numbers are approximate (I would consider them to be "within 1/2 inch or so") is that even Broncos varies slightly from the factory. Different spring rates, different vehicle weights, etc.

But that 7" and 6" front and rear have proven to be pretty good reference points.

Paul

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

Not sure if I'm measuring at the right place but the back and the front both give me around 7" where I measured.
So I have no lift? Sorry for the total noobness

YHHfD6f.jpg

KrUjHPj.jpg

Mikesimp70

Is ther a block between the spring perch and the spring pack in the back? Cant quite tell.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks about right. I see the front coils have air-bags in them. Maybe the rear springs have add-a-leaves or are just the higher GVWR version and have not sagged.
Is the hard top on? I see the gas tank is missing, which can lift the rear ever so slightly. If the weight is reduced for other reasons as well, it could easily explain an additional 1/2" or so of ride height.

So yeah, basically no lift.
Or if there ever was one, it's long since sacked out. Looks like the springs-n-things have been on the vehicle for a very long time undisturbed.
How many individual leaves in the rear packs, including the thick lower "overload" leaf? And are the main leaves sitting down on the lowermost leaf, or is there still a gap between them at the ends?

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
So yeah, basically no lift.
Or if there ever was one, it's long since sacked out. Looks like the springs-n-things have been on the vehicle for a very long time undisturbed.

yeah, not much done there to it seems like. Ready for owner's New improvements :)

OP
OP
F

fuentesfranko

Good eye Paul, no gas tank installed. Seats are out, removed the tailgate and hood, so I can see why it might be sitting a bit higher than normal.
I was almost sure there was a lift on it, I quite like the way it sits, but it might be nice to give it an inch or two more...
Gonna be getting some C bushings, that's why I wanted to know the lift. I am now wondering if I should maybe lift it a little bit before I do the bushings, could definitely use a fresh suspension.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you're obviously not driving it you won't be able to determine the actual caster that it has now unless you measure yourself. The reason for knowing that is to know what C-bushings you need. Each Bronco can be different here, but not for a good reason. The axles were just built inconsistently at Dana.
But I'm sure they erred to the low side because Broncos all had manual steering and more caster makes it harder to steer. So 2 degrees was better than 4 degrees for them.

If you are putting in power steering then just go with 4 degree bushings for up to 1.5" of lift.
If you opt for 2.5" or more, go to 7 degree bushings if you have power steering.
If you are keeping manual steering however, use 2 degree bushings (the lowest you can get in poly) or 4 degrees if you're going to lift it.

This does not take anything like driveline angle into account. But at this point you may have to just wing it.
It's a good idea to measure your front pinion angle compared to the driveshaft angle to see if you have room for more bushing offset. Most Broncos do.

Paul