• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How Much Oil???

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
How much oil should go in a 408 with a 7 quart Moroso oil pan and a K&N oil filter in stock place.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
What dipstick setup are you using and what location? Stock is 6 quarts. I would start there and then add till your dipstick reads full after you run it and the filter is full.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
IS this a trick question? Lol Most likely just over 7 quarts. If its a new engine that hasnt had any oil in it then maybe a full 8quarts. But like was said you need to verfy what the dipstick reads.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
LOL, Not a trick question. I assumed that when Moroso said 7 quart pan, it meant seven quarts as opposed to what the original pan would have been. And I'm not sure how much the original pan held. And i know the original 69 Winsdor engine would take 5 quarts with the oil filter. So with a stroker, would that change? I"m using a Lokar dipstick and so also need to mark it where I want the oil level to be. I would assume 7 quarts. But we all know what sometimes happens when we assume.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What I have done before...
Put the original parts together and measure how far off the oil pan rail to the full mark on the dipstick. Check new parts.

I would also look at rotating parts and see how that compares to levels. No law says it has to be the same level. Too high can cause problems. Oil getting up into the rotating assembly whips it up, heats the oil, makes foam that doesn't lube too well. So fuller isn't always the right answer. But you don't want so low that the pickup sucks air either.

Good thing is the window of what works is pretty wide.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
High speed shimmy

Have a shimmy that starts at 60 mph. Started after an afternoon of wheeling. Checked the wheels n don't see any missing wheel weights.

Thoughts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you got all the main info now Marty. But to answer your other thoughts, no, being a typical stroker does not in itself change the oil capacity of an engine. Yes, it's an internal change, but nothing to do with the volume of oil held.
The exceptions to that might be an extreme stroker that uses a larger crank rotating assembly that might stick itself down into the sump area farther, or serious machining done to the block to make something fit. But just the typical clearancing of the lower cylinder areas should not be enough to change oil volume either. At least not that I'm aware of.

The original application for that motor might have been 5 qts, but the PAN was the deciding factor. All Windsor family blocks have the same internal volume and capacities with minor changes over the years that would also probably not effect this oil capacity.
The same engine in a 4wd pickup of similar vintage to our EB's held 6 qts. And that change was all in the oil pan design.
Same engine in a 2wd truck likely had 5 qts. Same for all the 302's of the era.
Given the same engine family then, it's all in the pan.

Since you're also changing to a non-stock pan AND a non-stock dipstick though, I would mark the stick based on the manufacturers recommendation or what the others have already said.
So if it's a 7qt pan for a Windsor, then you put in 7 qts total (including what's in the new filter), run the engine for a few minutes, then make note of the location on the dipstick. Looking at both sides to note any variation that might come from oil residue in the tube.

Then you're in bidness.

Paul