• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how small can i shrink a 5.8

bludorbronc

hi, i just picked up a 97 5.8 out of a pickup. what belt system do i use to make that area smaller. what manifold do i use to make it shorter. i am wanting the most compact kit that can be had. thanks.

Sabas

use front explorer serp set-up.
try finding a 351 gt40 upper & lower intake manifold

Sabas

svobronco

Contributor
I'm not sure of the mfg, but someone makes an adapter to mate the 351 truck lower to a car upper. A lot easier and cheaper than trying to find a Lightning GT40 intake.

Ranchtruck

Explorer front dress with the crank pulley rebalenced by damper dudes or a adapter pulley from driven auto.

ford racing fox body 351w oil pan and pickup.

Bc broncos EFI car to truck manifold adapter or a factory 4bbl intake.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
ford racing fox body 351w oil pan and pickup.

Why the fox body oil pan? What's wrong with the stock truck pan? Reason I'm asking is I'm putting together a '94 roller myself and was planning on using the stock F-150 5.8L pan, pump, pickup and dipstick.

Ranchtruck

The truck pan will clearance itself on the front diff the next time you bottom it out.

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
The vintage air frontrunner system is the most compact one you can find. BCBroncos sells it. I have it installed on mine. It looks good too ;D

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
The truck pan will clearance itself on the front diff the next time you bottom it out.

LOL! I'll worry about that when I catch enough air to bottom out a 5.5" lift. I'm guessing I'll have bigger issues like worrying if the pilot flying the life flight is qualified...;D

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
LOL! I'll worry about that when I catch enough air to bottom out a 5.5" lift. I'm guessing I'll have bigger issues like worrying if the pilot flying the life flight is qualified...;D

I have the fox body pan and 5.5" lift. It has slightly self clearanced itself against the track bar. I'm not running a drop track bar on the frame, but I am running about 2-3" of track bar rise on the axle side.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I have the fox body pan and 5.5" lift. It has slightly self clearanced itself against the track bar. I'm not running a drop track bar on the frame, but I am running about 2-3" of track bar rise on the axle side.

I'm planning to run a riser as well. Is it hitting the sump portion of the pan? Would you mind posting a couple pics? Might sway me into pushing the front end forward a couple inches as I'm leaning that direction anyway to extend the WB around 4-6" total front & rear.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
It just barely tapped the front lower area of the pan. If I was running any sort of drop on the frame side it wouldn't have touched at all. I'll try to get a pic soon but you will need to be patient, I lost my camera at BBBB so I have to barrow one to take a pic. As I remember it was very close to the front drain plug. Kinda worried me when I first found it because it might cause the front plug to leak, but it's been fine and hasn't touched since then.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Well, It's a bit more than barely and there is a bit if a oil seep:

P7173514.jpg

P7173511.jpg

P7173510.jpg

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Thanks for the pics! That's actually a different pan than I've got. Mine came out of a '94 F-150 and it doesn't have that front sump.