• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to remove hood spring latch

latrucker

Contributor
Can anyone tell me how to remove the hood spring latch on the front of the hood. I feel a nut behind it, but there’s no way to get a wrench or socket in there to unscrew it. What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 14

BradinEDH

Contributor
I did a complete nut and bolt restoration and that is the only thing I could not get apart. I had to mask it off and paint around it. After 50 years it was not coming apart for me. The large nut is like a lock nut to the surface of the hood. I could get that to loosen up but the shaft would not unscrew from the hood. Good Luck! I am curious what the trick is.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I feel a nut behind it, but there’s no way to get a wrench or socket in there to unscrew it.
the nut behind it is welded in. the big nut that you can see is a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut, unscrew the bolt (there should be a slot in the "cone" that you can use a large standard screwdriver into).

1706671033499.png

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And good luck with it. My 71 is a piece of cake.
Easily adjustable, and easily removed. My 68 however, I’ve been working on getting that sucker off for two years and no joy.
I’ve tried to make some different tools to put more torque on it than just a screwdriver. But at this point, I’m starting to twist the welded on nut.
Those threads are well and thoroughly rusted into the inner nut.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what mm 70 says, the big huge sheet metal nut is key. My whole thing is lousy goosy.

NJBronk

Contributor
My welded nut had come un-welded. Had to reach in behind with an open-ended wrench or pliers (or my fingers, I can't remember) to hold it in place to unscrew the old one and screw on the new one. Luckly the new one is holding ok with it just being tightened like that.

And penetrating blaster is probably your friend here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ha ha! I’ve heard of that more than once over the years!