• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost bracket, for 5.0 with ZF

Pechin0351

So, I have been researching different ways to do this, I picked up B.C. Broncos bolt on bracket (not the angled one) to play around with. And I am trying to figure out my best options. I have a ZF with the master cylinder basically inline with the clutch pedal so an angled bracket would have to be hacked up a bit to fit. Also, I want to run the Wilwood brake master cylinder and prop valve that I already have. Anyone know of any off the shelf bolt on brackets that are available? Or does any one have this setup that is running Hydroboost? How did y’all do it? Thanks

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I have a ZF with hydroboost and I’m in the middle of swapping in EFI.

Attachments

• C2F1D360-D4C9-476D-A8CA-05F397BF0E50.jpg
    C2F1D360-D4C9-476D-A8CA-05F397BF0E50.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 189
  • D9C5CC19-7475-427E-9840-608F6CC7D089.jpg
    D9C5CC19-7475-427E-9840-608F6CC7D089.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 172

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Here’s a pic from awhile ago. You can see the 3/16” firewall bracket and 1/2” indexing adapter for the MC

Attachments

• D16D28A0-8D98-466F-8ACB-BB92FC3D2B40.jpg
    D16D28A0-8D98-466F-8ACB-BB92FC3D2B40.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 181
OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

So that bracket looks like the one from B.C. broncos. I rigged up the B.C. one and the distance between the booster/MC setup and the plenum is just too close for comfort.

bsquared

Contributor
Here’s a pic from awhile ago. You can see the 3/16” firewall bracket and 1/2” indexing adapter for the MC

ZF / EFI and Hydroboost here as well. My hydroboost unit came with a plate that I was able to bolt to the firewall using the existing holes. I made the indexing adapter by welding 2 ea 1/4" plates together and drilling out the 4 holes. (wish I had the cool toys, like a CNC!) I just recently added the Wilwood MC.

It was real tight with the upper intake but I didn't have a conflict. Hope the pics help and good luck with your build! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• 5Final.jpg
    5Final.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 4Finished.jpg
    4Finished.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 100
  • 3Installed.jpg
    3Installed.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 121
  • MC_vs_EFI2.jpg
    MC_vs_EFI2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

Thanks for the pictures, that looks really nice. Holy crap that is tight, do you have any engine movement if you punch the gas? That’s my fear is an engine mount getting sloppy and knocking into the MC.

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is a pic of mine I have ZF ,EFI also I fabbed up a angled bracket to be a bolt on no drill on the fire wall . Top 2 bolts are original and the bottom are welded on studs that go through the 2 original MC bolt holes with nuts on the inside.

Attachments

• ABA26F5E-8C1F-4934-92C2-FA396668ADE4.jpg
    ABA26F5E-8C1F-4934-92C2-FA396668ADE4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

I like that, I have seen your setup during my searches. We have the same intake manifold too. It’s looking more and more like modifying this B.C. Broncos bracket to kick the booster out at an angle might be my best bet. How did the added angle effect the pedal push rod?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The Mustang hydroboost unit has some angle built into it.
It's made that way so it won't mind.
Same reason. It was done for clearance.

There's also that firewall bracket that is on eBay from those fellows in Kentucky where it moves everything over where your hb equipment's more in line with fender well. But I don't know how that'll affect your slave cylinder for your clutch. Having said that it's a real popular unit somebody may have already figured that out for you

OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

I have looked at that eBay bracket, but because of the location of my clutch master cylinder, I figured it wouldn’t work. I have seen someone on here that has the angled bracket, and they just modified it so the master cylinder fit on its edge. That seems like a good backup idea for me.

Attachments

• D1B079D6-1B51-4B4F-8313-0D17259A6C2A.jpg
    D1B079D6-1B51-4B4F-8313-0D17259A6C2A.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 97
  • 9C5F6821-3BAE-4AEE-A317-9FFED48AD2CD.jpg
    9C5F6821-3BAE-4AEE-A317-9FFED48AD2CD.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks for the pictures, that looks really nice. Holy crap that is tight, do you have any engine movement if you punch the gas? That’s my fear is an engine mount getting sloppy and knocking into the MC.

Yeppers, it is tight, but I don't have any scarring on the intake, so I am guessing I'm good there. Like in your posts...it is tight in that area and thank you! Might be said that I used the WH (I think) HD motor mounts when I put in the 5.0L. (from I-6) May make a difference on where the engine sit. Cheers, B2

OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

I also used the WH extreme duty motor mounts. They claim that they may raise the motor 1/2 of an inch. But I have a 2 inch body lift, so it shouldn’t care that much.

MidwestTexan

I'm just starting to research the hydroboost setup as my current vacuum booster setup is in the way of my build. I'm going with Catfan's bracket. I have a Wilwood M/C with an 1-1/8" bore. What would be a good booster to use with that setup? Would one from a 99'-04' work?

OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

I'm just starting to research the hydroboost setup as my current vacuum booster setup is in the way of my build. I'm going with Catfan's bracket. I have a Wilwood M/C with an 1-1/8" bore. What would be a good booster to use with that setup? Would one from a 99'-04' work?

What the heck is a catfan’s bracket?
Here is what I found about hydro boosters, for the most part their bolt pattern, and body size is kind of a universal thing. I had an Astro, a SuperDuty, and a mustang one and the glaring differences were the input rod size, the way the studs are setup for the MC, the bore diameter for the power piston, and wether or not the return line hole is threaded.
On the mustang hydrobooster I got, the low pressure return is not threaded, there is a sepperate little block that attaches to the unit via the high pressure port next to the return. I took her apart and threaded that hole with a 5/16-24 tap. Now it’s setup more like the SuperDuty.

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
Catfan is a guy on here that sells clocking rings for attaching the hydroboost to master cylinder. He sells them on Ebay. He made a modified one for me that was for F250 hydroboost to Dodge D150 Master cylinder. Same price as the others. $22? Good, fast service.
David

OP
OP
P

Pechin0351

Catfan is a guy on here that sells clocking rings for attaching the hydroboost to master cylinder. He sells them on Ebay. He made a modified one for me that was for F250 hydroboost to Dodge D150 Master cylinder. Same price as the others. $22? Good, fast service.
David

Ohh, very well.
I ended up using one of those bracket with a bell crank that kicks the MC out over the fenderwell. I have to modify it a little because of the ZF master cylinder location. But it makes it so I can just direct bolt the MC to the booster.

snick

Contributor
Disregard the above 2 posts, thought I was replying to a private message but obviously that was not the case.

Edit: just realized I could delete my posts so went ahead and did that. Sad part is I’m sober as a joke

Last edited:

snick

Contributor
Peachin0351 - I was on this thread for a reason despite my errant posts above. What hydroboost bracket did you end up going with and did you have to make any modifications to it? My build will be very similar to yours with a zf, 351w and explorer EFI. Can you post some pics of your set-up and describe what you did for your bracket and what hydroboost components you ended up using? I really like the WH hydroboost Moab unit with its slightly angled firewall bracket but haven’t committed to dropping over a grand on it even though I’ll probably end up spending close to that when it’s all said and done if I piece it together myself. I did pick up a wilwood 1-1/8 bore tandem MC with wilwood proportioning valve and also have 2 salvage yard hydroboost units (one out of a 2000m’s Chevy van and another that I’m not sure what it came out of) that I could possibly use. Thanks in advance.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. I have basically the same set up. HB with 351w and ZF and explorer EFI and its tight with ~1.5” BL. I’m not using any sort of bracket. I managed enough clearance to get it all to fit but motor mounts will be on the regular maintenance list. Check pics in my build thread or PM me with a number I can text more too. It’s not impossible just very tight.

Hank