• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Icon spare tire carrier.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Icon is appealing but cost prohibitive for most. There are also some design elements that make it more troublesome than Duffs (license plate relocation, driver swing). Duffs is great but the gap and how far it sticks out past the tailgate is a deal breaker for me especially running the stock wheels. I’ve been testing my design and trying to figure if I could do it at the $1,000 cost point (without shipping and raw). It will still require notching the stock bumper for the spindle and drilling two holes for a latch. My first design required a one inch body lift and I’m currently working on a latch for no body lift guys. Some details to work out still, but here it is with a 31” tire on stock wheel.
Awesome design.

bkinke

Loc.
Los Angeles
Icon is appealing but cost prohibitive for most. There are also some design elements that make it more troublesome than Duffs (license plate relocation, driver swing). Duffs is great but the gap and how far it sticks out past the tailgate is a deal breaker for me especially running the stock wheels. I’ve been testing my design and trying to figure if I could do it at the $1,000 cost point (without shipping and raw). It will still require notching the stock bumper for the spindle and drilling two holes for a latch. My first design required a one inch body lift and I’m currently working on a latch for no body lift guys. Some details to work out still, but here it is with a 31” tire on stock wheel.
Looks great

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
I built another one for a local guy with the same size stock bumper. Unfortunately, there are some bumpers out there that are 3/4” deeper which poses a problem. The swing arm wouldn’t be flush with the stock bumper and that would look terrible. So right now mine works with the smaller stock bumpers. I don’t know how many sizes/reproductions are out there.

Attachments

• IMG_4975.jpeg
    IMG_4975.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5042.jpeg
    IMG_5042.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 33