• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Identifing my engine's size?

72EB_Mark

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Recently I bought a '72 Bronco and was told that it had a 302 in it. I was also told that it wasn't the original engine. After a friend was looking over my Bronco's components he noticed that its oil dipstick was on the driver's side opposed to his Bronco's 302 which resides on the passenger side.

Which engine do I have? Is it possible that my friend's Bronco isn't a 302 or that we both have 302s with different configurations?

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
289's and 302's can be different. 289 on the passenger side and 302's on the drivers. However it's not always that way

Jonboy69

My 69 302 has it on the passanger side about mid block and it enters the block through the pan. It is the original motor. Some might be through the front at the timing cover though but not on an original motor.

D1970

Loc.
Bakersfield
take the casting # on the block on the passenger side by the starter and referance that # i think that should give you an idea of what it is

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd say you both have 302s just with different oil pans. Probably just a later model engine. I believe in the 80's Ford started putting the dipstick on the drivers side.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Full-size Ford trucks were using the driver's side, or "LEFT" (as viewed from inside the vehicle) dipstick in the pan in at least '78 on the 335 series engines. Ford was using the screw-in fitting at that point as well. Don't know if they were using it before '78, but probably were, in the full-size stuff.

With the 260/289/302/351 stuff, you'll often run across dipsticks in the front timing cover. Came that way in most cars and 2wd trucks, but won't read correctly in the rear-sump 4wd pans.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Passenger side is correct for early Bronco.
Early car had the dipstick going in the timing cover
The 80's moved the dipstick to the drivers side. At first in the pan and later through a hole machined at the base of the block.

The hole in the block is hard to add. The pans and timing cover all interchange. If you mixed the right parts you could have no dipstick or up to 3.

The front dipstick is for the older cars with a front sump pan. The dipstick moved rearward as the sump moved back for newer chassis vehicles or speciality vehicles (like 4WD Broncos)