• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner fender panel repalcement - advise

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Awhile back I got the bright idea to replace the inner fender panels because they had some rust through in the typical places. I drilled out the spot welds and removed them. I got some new panels from JBG and I'm ready to put them on. I figured I'd mock them up and put the fenders, hood and grill on and get the panels lined up before I weld them into place. I spent an hour messing around with it today and it's not going as smoothly as I had hoped just to get the fenders back on there. Any advise on how to tackle it from those of you who've done it?

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 109

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
What exactly isn't going well. When I replaced my last ones they went pretty smooth. They actually lined up real well with very little trimming required. The tricky part will be where it attaches to the kick panel. Is the steel in this area good? The lower area of the new inner fender follows the wheel tub and the front wraps around the core support. Let us know the exact problems and i can try to help.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Some pictures

Attachments

• 66BR13.JPG
    66BR13.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 66BR14.JPG
    66BR14.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
B

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Thanks for the replies. The part that isn't going well seems to be just getting the placement of the new panel just right so that the fender bolts up flush. I had a hard time getting the holes on the back of the fender at the door post lined up. The fender needed to come down a bit but was already down against the top of the inner fender panel. It's hard to explain in words. I'm going to spend some more time on it tonight. I thinks it's just a matter of moving things around and possibly some trimming. Do you guys recommend test fitting the fenders, hood and grill for alignment before tacking in the inner fenders or is getting the fenders lined up close enough?

The metal at the kick panel is in decent shape. There is some pitting on the inside area, but it's solid enough to weld the new piece onto.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It would not hurt to try to align the fender and hood. I did not, but it would be best to double check. With the body on the frame like you have it, the core support and door post cant move, so as long as you can install the fender and it meets the core support and door post fine, it should be OK.

OP
OP
B

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
With everyone's inspiration, I got the drivers side just about done last night. I got it lined up and clamped in place. I welded the back section to the kick panel where I had drilled out the previous spot welds. I may be able to borrow a spot welder, so I'm holding off on doing the rest for now. I'm going to tackle the other side tomorrow. ;D