• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner grill removal

Gannon

Hello everyone is it possible to remove the inner grill ( proper terminology?) Without pulling my outer fenders for more exposure. I have the grill off and I see it as a separate piece of metal but I would like confirmation before removing unnecessary hardware.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I think you’re referring to the radiator support which is immediately behind the grill shell…. If that’s the correct part, the rad support is welded to the inner fenders and not easily removed without drilling a bunch of spot welds….

OP
OP
Gannon

Gannon

I think you’re referring to the radiator support which is immediately behind the grill shell…. If that’s the correct part, the rad support is welded to the inner fenders and not easily removed without drilling a bunch of spot welds….
That is what I'm referring to yes and I appreciate the info. Do you have any websites or books that you can recommend where I could find schematics and such to help with part identification and assembly

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
No I do not plan on replacing but I'll take any recommendations or advice
Dumb question…. Why are you removing it if you arent replacing it? If you need the clearance to pull the engine, buy a gantry or a taller/larger engine hoist. Removing that front support is a big job… I just repaired mine and here’s what’s all tied to it:
radiator
frame mounts
outer fenders
inner fenders
2x body mount brackets (which connect to the wheel well)
3x additional braces (which also connect to the wheel wells)

Spitballing, but you’re probably going to drill 70 spot welds which then have to be broken free, which will likely damage your factory panel.

Then there’s whatever is attached to the support like the horns, igni box, and such.

once the support is removed, the entire front end is a floppy, flimsy wobbly assembly..

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Removing that front support is a big job
This^^^

Spitballing, but you’re probably going to drill 70 spot welds which then have to be broken free, which will likely damage your factory panel.
No joke here on number of spot welds! You will damage you inner fenders which you will have to straighten out when time to weld up. Not to mention it needs to be installed in the right spot or nothing will line up.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Gannon,
Take a look at this thread. It shows pictures of what is welded to "core support".

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The core support comes off when you take the body off as it is part of the body tub.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Does it not if your doing a 1” body lift, if you unbolt one side and add the 1” lift, and then repeat the other side, you bypass all this throwing everything off?
Thanks for any help on this one cause I was planning a 1” lift till I read this!
Yikes 😬

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would say that most of us have done it that way. Loosen all the bolts, lift one side, swap the mounts, do the other side.
You don’t have to lift it much, and I always just use a board under the rocker panel and lift it with the floor jack.
Some have almost zero issues.
Most have to lengthen the pedal to Z-bar rod and auto trans shift rod. Almost everybody has to lower the fan shroud slightly.
And then some run into issues with the steering shaft, filler neck and one or two other things I can’t think of.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and always, always remove the fan shroud before doing any lifting.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Does it not if your doing a 1” body lift, if you unbolt one side and add the 1” lift, and then repeat the other side, you bypass all this throwing everything off?
Thanks for any help on this one cause I was planning a 1” lift till I read this!
Yikes 😬
Just to it like Dirt Donk said. The guy in that other thread had other issues that caused everything to end up out of whack. Just make sure if there are shims on the body mount you're going to want them back with the body lift. If you’re also replacing the body mounts you may not need the shims depending on when they were installed. Just keep them and know where they go then after everything is bolted back down check all your panel alignment.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Just to it like Dirt Donk said. The guy in that other thread had other issues that caused everything to end up out of whack. Just make sure if there are shims on the body mount you're going to want them back with the body lift. If you’re also replacing the body mounts you may not need the shims depending on when they were installed. Just keep them and know where they go then after everything is bolted back down check all your panel alignment.
Thanks for your reply, say, does this apply also if you just want to replace your stock mounts, which I’m thinking yes? My 74 Bronco is all stock, they don’t shim off of assembly line do they?

Thanks for the heads up Wild horse!

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Oh, and always, always remove the fan shroud before doing any lifting.
Thanks DirtDonk, hope you had a safe NYs, what if I just replace the body mounts with new stock one, I’m thinking by your reply I’ll just need to remove the fan shroud, it’s sets nice now for getting in and out but I was just thinking a body lift of an inch to maybe put some 16s on her.