• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner grill removal

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for your reply, say, does this apply also if you just want to replace your stock mounts, which I’m thinking yes?
Not necessarily, if you're very careful.
But it would not hurt to take the few extra minutes in the beginning, to remove the shroud and just let it hang on the fan for the duration of the body mount replacement.
Just in case you get a little too carried away with the jack and lift the body that last 1/4" and break your pristine original shroud in half!
My 74 Bronco is all stock, they don’t shim off of assembly line do they?
Yes, they do.
Well, whether it's on the line, or in a dark room down the hall after class, I don't know. But I do know that many Broncos (and pickups) come with body shims from the factory.
Unless it's done at the dealer level prior to releasing it to a customer (highly doubtful) then it's done at the factory level.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run a 32-15-11.5 I wonder what a 32-16-11.5 would look like, thinking it would need to be a 33-16-11.5🤨
Not sure what you're trying to describe. The wheel gets larger, the tire does not.
Yes, it looks different due to the change in wheel diameter. Gives you a lower profile sidewall, but the overall diameter of the tire is, for example, 32 inches, then it's still 32 inches. Just with more wheel inside the tire and shorter sidewalls.
Most 15's were/are "flotation" sizes. This means that your 32x11.50x15 might turn into a "metric" size when you choose a tire for a 16" wheel. Don't know what that tire size might be, but a 265/70-16 comes to mind.

But there are possible discrepancies here. A "32-inch" tire in flotation sizing probably measures in at 31, or maybe even 30.5 inches tall. Whereas a 265/70 might be called a "32 inch" tire, but it might actually measure out at 32 inches!
So be wary of using dissimilar measuring criteria. Get out a tape measure and verify!

Paul

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Not sure what you're trying to describe. The wheel gets larger, the tire does not.
Yes, it looks different due to the change in wheel diameter. Gives you a lower profile sidewall, but the overall diameter of the tire is, for example, 32 inches, then it's still 32 inches. Just with more wheel inside the tire and shorter sidewalls.
Most 15's were/are "flotation" sizes. This means that your 32x11.50x15 might turn into a "metric" size when you choose a tire for a 16" wheel. Don't know what that tire size might be, but a 265/70-16 comes to mind.

But there are possible discrepancies here. A "32-inch" tire in flotation sizing probably measures in at 31, or maybe even 30.5 inches tall. Whereas a 265/70 might be called a "32 inch" tire, but it might actually measure out at 32 inches!
So be wary of using dissimilar measuring criteria. Get out a tape measure and verify!

Paul
Got ya, ya I had a bit of a mess writing there but makes sense now, although with a 32 on a 15 or a 16 I’m not sure I want a lower profile when off road, it migh give you a bit more tread on the dirt but I’m not sure on rocks or slate, some of the stock rims came 16 or 16.5 I’m still looking for the smoke whites but I did find them new, they have a blue and red thin line on them, I think I remember the ole stock ones having them as well, thanks for the info DD

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No 16.5’s on light duty vehicles. Only 3/4 ton trucks and higher.
But yes, there was a 16 inch option for Broncos. At least some years. Not sure if they were always available or not.