• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing auxiliary lights on tow rig, need help

jperry1290

Looking to add auxiliary lights (front and rear leds) to my tow rig. I've scoured several forums, some of which have left me more confused than when I started. Some of the wiring diagrams I've looked at contradict each other. I was thinking of using the Blue Sea fuse blocks to make the install look clean, I want the back up lights to on a 3 way switch (off, on with reverse, or on when truck is parked if needed). Also looking at using lighted toggles.

From what I understand I will have a relay between battery and fuse block then relay between each aux item? I think I can get the fuse block wired with no issues, it just everything past the block.

What is the best ignition power source to tap in to so the toggles won't be lit up when truck is off?

Any diagrams appreciated

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
From a power demand point of view, the normal reason for using relays, LED's don't normally need relays. However from a switching needs point of view they can be handy.

I don't know why you'd want a relay between the battery and the fuse block. You do need a fuse, fusible link, or breaker between them if they are, say, more than 18" apart.

Never seen a lighted switch I thought was worth a damn. They all look cheaply made to me and not likely to work or last very long. I'd use an indicator light instead.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Here is my switch (see below) from: http://www.otrattw.net/

The company is based in Cupertino, CA. There are a number of ways you can configure the switch itself... Colors and such. Yes, maybe pricey, but depends on the look you want.
Switch is on/off/on, back lighted with instrumentation lights of the vehicle. Lights up when rear lights are active, whether that is from vehicle reverse circuit or manual, like when parked.

My fuse panel under the dash has a stud that I pulled the power from that goes to a relay... I figured out what my non-LED lights pulled amp wise and placed a fuse in the power feed to the relay. (Do not remember what it was) Relay provides power to the lights. The switch controls what signal goes to the relay to close it... That way the back up circuit is not taxed.

Attachments

• IMG_20150625_172332_775.jpg
    IMG_20150625_172332_775.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 24

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
These are what I'm currently using for the ARB's:

https://www.alliedelec.com/switches/toggle/?customfilter=Brand/Series:8500+Series

They're a little over the top, but I don't have to worry about them failing.
70176367_large.jpg

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...using the Blue Sea fuse blocks to make the install look clean...
It would look a LOT cleaner if you just add fuses & wiring to the stock fuse block.
...when truck is parked...
What exactly do you mean? When the key is OFF; or when the engine is running & the trans is in PARK? The more-precisely you describe the behavior you want from these lights, the more-precisely we can draw diagrams to produce that behavior.

Here are some generic ones:

Also looking at using lighted toggles.
I agree with ntsqd - those usually look cheap. I'd look for stock switches from junkyard trucks with more options than yours has, and try to adapt them to fit into your dash & do what you want.
...a relay between battery and fuse block then relay between each aux item?
That's overkill, and unnecessarily complicated. Keep it simple & safe.
What is the best ignition power source to tap in to so the toggles won't be lit up when truck is off?
Probably the parking light feed coming off the stock headlight switch.
Any diagrams appreciated
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
My solution to a multiple controlled backup light: Get an ON-OFF-ON switch (toggle, rocker, ect.). ON (1) turns on backup lights. OFF is off. ON (2) is triggered by the vehicles revers light activation.
You will also need a 5 pin relay. This relay needs to be a 5 pin relay with the 30, 85,86, 87, and 87a connections. There are some 5 pin with two 87 pins instead of 87 and 87a, don't get those.
OK the wiring. In this install, you run power through the relay in reverse. The relay doesn't care which way the power goes (chime in). ON (1) runs power to pin 87a on relay. ON (2) runs power to pin 87. Now, tap a wire from your backup lights and connect that wire to pin 86. You run pin 85 to a ground. And ' now pin 30 runs to your backup lights. Make sure you put fuses in the power supply lines.

ON (1) - Power goes through pin 87a (on when relay trigger power is off) to pin 30 and backup lights.

OFF- POWER IS OFF. No aux. backup lights.

ON (2) - Power goes to relay pin 87. At the relay it is triggered on or off by your vehicles backup lights current either going or not going through pin 86 to pin 85. When
the vehicles backup lights are on, power goes through the relay and out pin 30 to the aux. lights. On (2) can be left on.

Power should come from a key on source.
You should wire in a flashing red LED light (at O'rielly's, ect.) to the ON (1) circuit. You don't what to forget you have these on manually and blind people behind you:cool:

An option, is to have the power out, pin 30, control a main power relay (4 pin-power through with a trigger, or you can use the trigger half of a 5 pin relay) that runs power to the aux. backup lights.

This is my plan. Hope it helps someone.