• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interesting Bronco

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
We have a bronco in our shop that is a 72, by title, registration and VIN. What is unique is it has factory PS, the core support has the modified section, it is an early ranger, no badge on the glove box door etc. We have had the entire body stripped and there is no sign of any prior repair knowing this is an unmolested original bronco. From our past research, PS was not available until 73 which is when we saw the core support changes. The transfer case is also a modified T just like my 73 had being of mixed components, like the front output shaft section is of the later J units without the internal snap ring. The Vin on this bronco clearly indicates 1972 as it is U15GLP but the kicker is all of the numbers for 72 cut off at 69999 and this one is 83***. Any thoughts on this? My 73 (The Duck) was a September of 72 build but it has a U15GLQ designator. I have ordered the Marty Report for it but it has not come in yet, just trying to get some info as is this a 72 or 73 model?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
We have a bronco in our shop that is a 72, by title, registration and VIN. What is unique is it has factory PS, the core support has the modified section, it is an early ranger, no badge on the glove box door etc. We have had the entire body stripped and there is no sign of any prior repair knowing this is an unmolested original bronco. From our past research, PS was not available until 73 which is when we saw the core support changes. The transfer case is also a modified T just like my 73 had being of mixed components, like the front output shaft section is of the later J units without the internal snap ring. The Vin on this bronco clearly indicates 1972 as it is U15GLP but the kicker is all of the numbers for 72 cut off at 69999 and this one is 83***. Any thoughts on this? My 73 (The Duck) was a September of 72 build but it has a U15GLQ designator. I have ordered the Marty Report for it but it has not come in yet, just trying to get some info as is this a 72 or 73 model?

Refer to this thread. From what I've gathered, its technically a '73 registered as a '72. I've seen several similar circumstances and it appears Ford could not sell them as '73 models due to new emissions regulations so they were held back and later sold as '72s.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221155&

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Refer to this thread. From what I've gathered, its technically a '73 registered as a '72. I've seen several similar circumstances and it appears Ford could not sell them as '73 models due to new emissions regulations so they were held back and later sold as '72s.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221155&

I figured the same at first but the VIN is a 72 vin according to the sources online which had me curious. I have seen vehicles registered as the year prior due to the build date but I am curious exactly how for did this one being it clearly has a 72 VIN but by all accessories etc. is a 73 model. I also have another bronco in our shop that the frame vin in other places was mis stamped and then corrected being stamped U15GLS but it was supposed to be a T so they stamped the T right over the S. Both are clearly visible. Its a 74 Model, both T and S were used however the 5 digits later were to early for the S and only found after T. Marty is on order for it as well.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 73 came with the Ranger package and didn't have a badge on the glove box door either. I didn't know it until I saw the Marti Report.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
All part of that late '72/early '73 weirdness that Viper has documented so well. There are numerous examples around of late '72 production trucks having the auto/ps and even the Ranger package on them.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
All part of that late '72/early '73 weirdness that Viper has documented so well. There are numerous examples around of late '72 production trucks having the auto/ps and even the Ranger package on them.

Todd Z.

I know right! Its bronco voodoo, thanks to Viper for trying to sort it out. I am anxious to see what the report says and will certainly share the findings. This all started for me because when we build these broncos for our customers I like to include an owners manual with them, then in the back pages we add in what parts are different if we use explorer serp or change the brakes etc. A neat little touch that the owners dig but on this one I believe I will be using a 73 book simply because it has the 73 parts from factory. What would really be cool is if it came from the factory listed as a 72 but did it ship with a 73 manual to cover the PS option.... Unfortunately that has been lost decades ago so we will never know the whole story on this build.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

I bet it has an Oct '72 birthday, which makes it a '73 despite what the sequence number is. When you get the Marti compare it to the timeline on this chart.

Attachments

• Bronco VIN Production latest.pdf
    59.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I bet it has an Oct '72 birthday, which makes it a '73 despite what the sequence number is. When you get the Marti compare it to the timeline on this chart.

Hey Phil, the last digits is P83621. It has PS, Manual Transmission, Ambient Temp Sensor, and unsure if it had the return line as it was changed out with an electric fuel pump when it came in. I will let you know the build date etc. when it comes in.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Interesting, I have a 1972 "1973 pre-ranger" also. It has pretty much all the ranger items -complete interior and exterior package of a 73+ Ranger including stripes, plus power steering but no glove box emblem. It also has the original tire cover with Ford Bronco but there is no horse in the center.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
View attachment 454328

View attachment 454329 View attachment 454328

Hey Phil, the last digits is P83621. It has PS, Manual Transmission, Ambient Temp Sensor, and unsure if it had the return line as it was changed out with an electric fuel pump when it came in. I will let you know the build date etc. when it comes in.

I have a ‘72 GLP88637 early Ranger that also has factory ps, ambient sensor built 9/27/72. Came with an original looking 1972 manual, no glovebox emblem.

Attachments

• 37FAF174-ED87-477E-9FCF-7A8D51618C9B.jpg
    37FAF174-ED87-477E-9FCF-7A8D51618C9B.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 19548F6E-FC11-477B-9D41-D099C699DA8B.jpg
    19548F6E-FC11-477B-9D41-D099C699DA8B.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 77

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Got the report. Ordered 06/20/72 build date of 08/05/72.

Attachments

• Marty Report.pdf
    206.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Have you ever developed a theory to all of this? I’m thinking it has a large part to do with 72 was supposed to be the last year of gen 1 and the FSB was to be released. With the fuel crisis being the main catalyst as to why they postponed the change, I am thinking that they scrambled to keep things going which caused this confusion in serial numbers?

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It had black interior but the other rangervwe did, had the same description and it was houndstooth. This one is getting a custom interior but it will include a blue/white/black houndstooth. The bronco will remain uncut and will be Porsche midnight blue metallic.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info. Can’t wait to see the pics down the road....bet that color combination will be sharp.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Have you ever developed a theory to all of this? I’m thinking it has a large part to do with 72 was supposed to be the last year of gen 1 and the FSB was to be released. With the fuel crisis being the main catalyst as to why they postponed the change, I am thinking that they scrambled to keep things going which caused this confusion in serial numbers?
It seems to me like there was some kind of part shortage that happened at the beginning of the '73 run. Something that allowed them to build the Broncos into a 99% state then stored until the parts arrived and were installed. Probably something different from the old model year. It doesn't seem like a major component like power steering or auto trans. More like something that affected all '73s, like the dash light bars.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

FSB wasn't scheduled until '75-'76 originally so I don't think that was it.

Todd Z.