• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interesting dilemma on Facebook

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Again, I agree with you mostly…but. You can’t say that if you bought one of Tom’s new rolling chassis or one of the other aftermarket frames and got rid of yours that has a vin stamped on it that you don’t hold the title. You hold the title until you sell that title.
I did sell a couple titles a while back that were for frames (and the bodies) I'd personally cut up and scrapped. I suspect they were going to be used to title new-fabrication frames, but don't know that for certain.

I know that many car kits come with a "Certificate of Origin" and most state MVAs have a process to issue a new VIN and title to those "home built" or "custom built" vehicles. I have not heard of any of the current new-frame builders doing that...maybe they do?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
. Yeah, you might slip one past the local DMV technician,
That's typical here in MD (and other states too, I know). So the unsuspecting buyer thinks that because a lazy inspector goes by the body tag, it must be all legal. Not.

When my '78 Bronco was involved in a bad accident involving multiple vehicles and a fatality, the local accident investigator, the insurance co accident investigator, and a private investigator all verified my frame VIN matched title and registration. Had it not matched...my ass would have been ruined. Of course the only VIN the inspection station had looked at when I first titled it was.....the door jamb sticker.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I did sell a couple titles a while back that were for frames (and the bodies) I'd personally cut up and scrapped. I suspect they were going to be used to title new-fabrication frames, but don't know that for certain.

I know that many car kits come with a "Certificate of Origin" and most state MVAs have a process to issue a new VIN and title to those "home built" or "custom built" vehicles. I have not heard of any of the current new-frame builders doing that...maybe they do?
for these after market frames, I remember watching an icon video (I think it was, can't find it) where they said they make a plaque and attach the original vin to their new frame.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Would like to know also. Because in GA they do not issue a title on older cars if you do not have a title.
Touche. I should have said that any state that issues a title has a method for re-issuing a title. But you are correct. Georgia also does not issue title for Tow Dollys, pole trailers, self propelled wheelchairs, or vehicles manufactured prior to 1962.

They also do not re-issue title for vehicles older than 1985 without some special rules. So I need to carve out an exception for GA. and probably some other states. Or maybe just stick to what I know about...which is CA.

I also don't know what happens if you take a Bronco with a clean CA title and bring it to GA. Do they honor the CA title and issue a GA title? If so...then problem SOLVED. If they will give you a registration plate without the title...then wouldn't that be good enough?

So I was wrong about Georgia. Maybe other states too.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Titles are optional for 1963-1985 model years in Georgia. You can get a title provided you have a title from Georgia, or another state, with your name on the front, or a title with it signed over to you. So if you bring a Bronco with a title in your name from California, they will issue a title, or you can register it without one. However, if the vehicle has ever been registered in Georgia without a title, they will not issue one to the owner, or a buyer….

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Would like to know also. Because in GA they do not issue a title on older cars if you do not have a title.

in what state can you get a legal title if you have the vehicle with frame but not the title?
vehicle left on a property and owner can't be found or expired.

I bought a 1972 EB rolling chassis in Carson City Nevada last year. Guy had no paperwork for it, but the VIN was stamped at least three places that I could clearly see on the frame. The independent DMV consultant I use who helps people with stuff like this got me a title for it within three weeks. Total cost to me with the DMV fee and the consultant's service fee was $321. I now have a fully titled 1972 Bronco that I can build however I want without concern or sell to anyone anywhere with valid title.

Years ago I ended up with a Honda Rebel motorcycle that hadn't been on the road for a couple of decades and also had no paperwork. This one was more challenging and involved going through the lien sale process. More time consuming, but in the end the motorcycle was legally mine and was easy to sell with the required paperwork.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I bought a 1972 EB rolling chassis in Carson City Nevada last year. Guy had no paperwork for it, but the VIN was stamped at least three places that I could clearly see on the frame. The independent DMV consultant I use who helps people with stuff like this got me a title for it within three weeks. Total cost to me with the DMV fee and the consultant's service fee was $321. I now have a fully titled 1972 Bronco that I can build however I want without concern or sell to anyone anywhere with valid title.

Years ago I ended up with a Honda Rebel motorcycle that hadn't been on the road for a couple of decades and also had no paperwork. This one was more challenging and involved going through the lien sale process. More time consuming, but in the end the motorcycle was legally mine and was easy to sell with the required paperwork.
And my fear is that when I go finish registering mine that this will happen and hopefully it does not, but I do have the original title and I started the process of transferring 24 years ago so I should be ok.

I wonder what the story is on what the history of your title is.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
for these after market frames, I remember watching an icon video (I think it was, can't find it) where they said they make a plaque and attach the original vin to their new frame.
I figured as much. I wasn't worried about the titles I sold since I personally scrapped the vehicles they were attached to. (Wish I hadn't now..but back when I had 11-12 EBs in the yard and they weren't worth all that much...LOL)

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
Touche. I should have said that any state that issues a title has a method for re-issuing a title. But you are correct. Georgia also does not issue title for Tow Dollys, pole trailers, self propelled wheelchairs, or vehicles manufactured prior to 1962.

They also do not re-issue title for vehicles older than 1985 without some special rules. So I need to carve out an exception for GA. and probably some other states. Or maybe just stick to what I know about...which is CA.

I also don't know what happens if you take a Bronco with a clean CA title and bring it to GA. Do they honor the CA title and issue a GA title? If so...then problem SOLVED. If they will give you a registration plate without the title...then wouldn't that be good enough?

So I was wrong about Georgia. Maybe other states too.
They will issue a title from any state if you come to Georgia. But if you some how don’t have a title or it’s lost they will not re-issue one you will just get a bill of sale.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
They will issue a title from any state if you come to Georgia. But if you some how don’t have a title or it’s lost they will not re-issue one you will just get a bill of sale.
To further muddy the waters, if you bring a vehicle that doesn't have title into my home state of Missouri you need at least a bill of sale to register it and then they will mail you a title. That may have changed in the last couple of years but that's the way it was last time I titled something like that.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
NC is pretty particular about bringing vehicles in. My 78 has move around the country with me and has been titled in 5 different states while I’ve owned it. GA messed up in 2000 and issued a new title when I moved back with one digit wrong. I didn’t catch it for a few years. I had them correct it but they left the wrong vin on the national data base. When I tried to register it here in NC they saw 2 vins for the same truck. It took months and a state dmv man and a highway patrol officer had to come ans verify the correct vin before they would issue a title.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
He definitely woulda. He was like Genghis Khan up in here....scorched earth...rape and pillage...left nothing behind but an empty lot and some weeping wimmins.
It's how I roll. I got 2 bodies and frames from Bill Plus one title that matched a frame. So I felt pretty good about that . The weeping wimmins, ya just get used to that after a while.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
It's how I roll. I got 2 bodies and frames from Bill Plus one title that matched a frame. So I felt pretty good about that . The weeping wimmins, ya just get used to that after a while.
Disposing of Bill's dead bodies? That stuff should be kept secret and not posted on the internet. What, you think this is a gaming site??

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Disposing of Bill's dead bodies? That stuff should be kept secret and not posted on the internet. What, you think this is a gaming site??
It's OK...we didn't care about the carpet any more.