• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is an engine that has been through a fire worth rebuilding?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I found an engine that has been through a fire, I have not looked at it yet, only emails with the seller.
The seller says that it will need shot peening and full machining.

Is it worth buying as a builder? It is a very low price for what it is.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No.

Way to many unknowns.

So whats he asking? A motor needing maching is $100, risk of fire damage hurting the block? Negative value.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Depends on the fire.
Burnt to the ground, scrap
A little engine room fire that was put out fairly quickly, that is doable.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Been into some race motors that were in some pretty good fires, unless there is melting of aluminum components I'd not give the fire much thought unless its sat outside for a long time.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
And one of the things that is done in a premium engine build is to run it thru a "Block Burner" to remove every last bit of pretty much anything not cast iron. It does get run thru an abrader as the next step of the process. This basically shot-peens all of the block surfaces - mostly to finish removing the paint, scum, coked-on oil, etc.

So I wouldn't count it out just because of it being from a burn. Need pics or personal inspection to determine if a decent core or not.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
also would depend on what size, if it's one that's a dime a dozen I would pass

DJs74

Bronco Guru
What engine?

If its something like a 427, 428, Boss 302, Boss 429 or even a 426 Hemi - you should take it regardless.

If it wasn't exposed to direct flame for an extended period of time, it would be pretty hard to totally ruin the cast parts like block, crank, cylinder heads and intake. I think the melting point of an engine block is a couple thousand °F

DJs74

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If just the paint burned off I would use it. If anything aluminum externally melted (water neck, intake, front cover) I would pass. That means it got plenty hot. Sure shops deck the block and machine the bores but how many machine the front cover surface or pan rail if they are not so flat anymore?

You can get a 302 for $100 in need of a rebuild or $400 running so I would keep looking unless it had something special going for it.