• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ISO shop to help 4r70w Transmission over heating

D&J74Bronco

Hello
This is my first post so if I’m doing this wrong I apologize in advance. I’m hoping someone here can help with my transmission over heating problem or point me to a shop that can. I live in Fresno Ca and for some reason I can’t find a shop that wants to take it.
I have a 75 Bronco with a stock 5.0 EFI swap and a 4R70w transmission out of a 98 Ford Expl that’s being controlled by a US Shift 2 controller. I’m having over heating issues to a point of driving 20-30min and it gets to 210-225 deg. The transmission had new clutch plates and TC put in about 750mi ago and I’ve never been able to get the TC to stop shuttering once it kicks in at 4th gear. I explain what I have to local transmission shops here and because it’s not in a stock vehicle, they don’t want to touch it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Who rebuilt it?

What's your current trans cooler situation.

What gear ratio in your axles

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Welcome with your first post!

I know someone will come up with a recommendation for a shop, it may just take a bit to get the right person to see your post. As rjrobin posted questions, it is only so we can try to help you find not only a solution to your problem but maybe help identify contributing factors. The shuttering is what is causing the heat, the clutch is slipping.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Does it shudder all the time when it’s in 4th gear, or only when the TCC is engaged? Also, when the shop put new clutches in the transmission, did they look at the valve body and servos?

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your willing to head to Wild Horses in Lodi, CA. I use Becker transmission. 2nd gen transmission family. I used a dedicated trans cooler from WCB with a fan. Didn't make sense to send hot oil to a hot radiator. Call Caps coatings, they do tons of hot rod parts and should know of a good shop.

OP
OP
D

D&J74Bronco

Thank you all for responding to my post. I just reached out to the guy who installed my transmission on what all was done. I believe all he did was the clutches, TC & input shaft, not a full rebuild. I bought transmission from wrecking yard that said it was good and running

rjrobin- I have a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator with transmission lines running through it. I did by a mishimoto transcooler but have yet to install it as my belief is there is an underlying issue with transmission and would like it remedied before I install that cooler

Yeller & rocknhorse- it shudders only when it locks up and does not stop until trans down shifts. TCC only locks in 4th gear not 3rd. TC was bought new at time of install

It just seems to gets hot really quick even when I’m babying the throttle and not going over 60mph.

Gear ratio? I believe it’s 3:56, I have not done the calculations to check, I’ll see if I can get to that this weekend. I am running 33” MT right now and plan to install 35” soon as I get this issue fixed.

Italiano- do you work and WH? If so I called tech line to get advice on a shop but only ones they gave me was one in Tracy and one down by SD. I don’t mind taking it to Becker Shop, I just want to enjoy driving my bronco this summer-lol. I’ll call them Monday see what they say.

Hope this added information helps.

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yes you need a gear swap and figure out why the converter clutch is slipping, that’s the shudder in 4th. I’d be curious if you drive it in 3rd if it gets hot. Also curious if the line pressure is low and that is what is causing the slip. All things that you can talk over with the shop.

OP
OP
D

D&J74Bronco

Ok found out that only clutch plates and TC were changed.
So we are thinking gears for sure? I will definitely find out my gear ratio tomorrow morning.
TC shuddering I’ve been getting same response from everyone I’ve talk to so far. That it maybe bad.
I will run again tomorrow and take pic of line pressure while driving if I can hold camera still.
Thank you all who have responded, luv this form!

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4.10 gears with 33, 4.56 gears with 35s is my go to with 4r70w.

But you're right, it shouldn't be shuddering in overdrive even with 3.55 gears and something is wrong.

JSBX

Contributor
You can get in touch with US Shift and they can talk you through how to check and adjust line pressure using a lap top. I had to do this when I first installed a 4R70W in my 69.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any transmission from a junkyard should be considered a core, taken completely apart and rebuilt (the parts aren't that expensive it is the labor for sure). My trans guy had the drum machine to hold an extra clutch plate because it was going in a bronco that would be on/off the road. Your gonna have more headache/heartache by not removing and going through the whole trans. You can also do the valve body with transgo kits https://transgo.com/products/rwd-4spd-aode-4r70w-4r75w/ all types of goodies to be more reliable/perform better than stock