• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift size choices for uncut fenders and original 15” wheels

Minderbinder3

Contributor
I am going to replace my entire suspension anyway as all is stock on my ‘66. It has the uncut rear fenders and original 15” wheels. It had 235/75/15 MT on it but they were bad.

I just had the wheels blasted and cleaned and about to have them powder coated so I for sure want to keep them.

How much bigger of tires can I get under the fenders if I just replace with stock suspension vs if I put a 1.5” lift on it?

Attachments

• IMG_7926.jpeg
    IMG_7926.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Minderbinder3

Minderbinder3

Contributor
Best choice for full stock suspension kit. I am looking at Jeff’s and Tom’s. Anybody got any other suggestions?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
When I did my 2.5-inch lift, Jeff's had a house branded rear leaf's that were a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the name brand ones. When I got them, I believe they were made by Deaver. I am not sure if they had the stock height ones.

bmbm

Just an FYI but if the body bushing are still original they are probably squashed flat pretty much. So if you decide to replace them consider getting a 1" body lift kit as it does contribute to more room in the wheel area and adds to the stance. Also it is relatively easy and low cost. Most vendors have them available and adding them to my 66 did not require any additional work. It seems that a 2" body lift or more requires additional modifications.
You may want to measure to see how much your springs have sagged because if they are original they may sagged quite a bit and that may help with the decision of 1.5" vs stock springs. With new stock height springs you might be able to run a 31" tire depending on wheel backspacing.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Just an FYI but if the body bushing are still original they are probably squashed flat pretty much. So if you decide to replace them consider getting a 1" body lift kit as it does contribute to more room in the wheel area and adds to the stance. Also it is relatively easy and low cost. Most vendors have them available and adding them to my 66 did not require any additional work. It seems that a 2" body lift or more requires additional modifications.
You may want to measure to see how much your springs have sagged because if they are original they may sagged quite a bit and that may help with the decision of 1.5" vs stock springs. With new stock height springs you might be able to run a 31" tire depending on wheel backspacing.
"B" is correct on the body mounts. The '69 I'm doing (going back to uncut) has 1" Poly body mounts. The polyurethane mounts contribute to a little firmer ride over the stock rubber mounts. Torque requirements are hard to find. In a '77 shop manual I found the torque to be from 40 to 50 pounds. I set mine at 40. Do the mount replacement one puck at a time but don't tighten til they're all in place.

OP
OP
Minderbinder3

Minderbinder3

Contributor
I am definitely considering the 1” body lift. The suspension kit I am
looking at comes
with new front coil springs so I am interested to see how much lift it will be vs the original springs on it now.

Shipping on the suspension kits are $200 which I feel is too much.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am definitely considering the 1” body lift. The suspension kit I am looking at comes with new front coil springs so I am interested to see how much lift it will be vs the original springs on it now.
You can measure your front and rear heights right now and have a very good idea of how much, if any, it has sagged and therefor how far up you will go.
Measure between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails at all four corners to see what you have. The "stock" dimensions are approximately 7" in front and 6" in the back.
Any less than that is how much you have sagged. But due to there being different options in not only spring capacities, but different tire designs and overall weights of Broncos originally, the numbers are only approximate.
If you are within a half an inch either way, at least it still gives you a point of reference.
Shipping on the suspension kits are $200 which I feel is too much.
Yep, rear springs are both large AND heavy.
Shocks aren't as large, but all four end up being pretty heavy.
Coil springs are not too large, or too heavy. But it still adds up.
Where are you located? That $200 sounds like a pretty average minimum for shipping a full suspension around the country, but if one of the vendors is closer to you then the price might be less.
Could be worth a few minutes spent on the phone with one of us too, rather than just relying on the online calculators, if that's what you did.
Variations might come down to only a few bucks, but sometimes it's substantial.
You just never know until you know!

Paul

OP
OP
Minderbinder3

Minderbinder3

Contributor
You can measure your front and rear heights right now and have a very good idea of how much, if any, it has sagged and therefor how far up you will go.
Measure between the top of the axle tubes and the bottom of the frame rails at all four corners to see what you have. The "stock" dimensions are approximately 7" in front and 6" in the back.
Any less than that is how much you have sagged. But due to there being different options in not only spring capacities, but different tire designs and overall weights of Broncos originally, the numbers are only approximate.
If you are within a half an inch either way, at least it still gives you a point of reference.

Yep, rear springs are both large AND heavy.
Shocks aren't as large, but all four end up being pretty heavy.
Coil springs are not too large, or too heavy. But it still adds up.
Where are you located? That $200 sounds like a pretty average minimum for shipping a full suspension around the country, but if one of the vendors is closer to you then the price might be less.
Could be worth a few minutes spent on the phone with one of us too, rather than just relying on the online calculators, if that's what you did.
Variations might come down to only a few bucks, but sometimes it's substantial.
You just never know until you know!

Paul
I appreciate the info. I am going to take off the old suspension stuff this weekend (I have all the bolt soaking now) and will then know exactly what I need to order.

I already removed the old tires and just had the original wheels blasted before powder coating. I am leaning towards going back to same size tires that were already on it (235/75/15).

It was my uncle’s Bronco and he is in the nursing home. I promised him that I would restore it and keep it pretty much like he had it all those years.

I am a Jeeper and used to places like Rough Country and Extreme Terrain shipping suspension kits for free.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
stock. 30' x 9.50'

Attachments

• 285580898_10221889101402775_2527274769140484891_n.jpg
    285580898_10221889101402775_2527274769140484891_n.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 22

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I appreciate the info. I am going to take off the old suspension stuff this weekend (I have all the bolt soaking now) and will then know exactly what I need to order.

I already removed the old tires and just had the original wheels blasted before powder coating. I am leaning towards going back to same size tires that were already on it (235/75/15).

It was my uncle’s Bronco and he is in the nursing home. I promised him that I would restore it and keep it pretty much like he had it all those years.

I am a Jeeper and used to places like Rough Country and Extreme Terrain shipping suspension kits for free.
Here's a trick to avoid broken bolts. Tighten the bolt JUST a bit before loosing it just a bit. Back and forth a little more each time. Most of the time the bolt will come undone but slowly. Another trick is using heat, propane or acetylene.