• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Long Term Project - Drove it today!

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Well as many of you have known I have been working on my Bronco since about 1999 with various long breaks (due to Uncle Sam sending me to the desert 4 times) and a couple of required Army moves.

Today was the day. I had recently finished the 351W SEFI and the serp conversion and installed the ZF tranny.

Drove it to the exhaust shop today to fix/install my 2 into 1 exhaust with the Magnaflow muffler. 2.5" in with a 3" out the back at a 45 degree angle. Shop did a great job routing it and it has a nice mello rumble at idle and opens up a little when i get on it. $154 out the door. (I had the muffler already - exhaust shop is also not a fan of flangless headers:-[ )

Spent about an hour driving it around at various speeds up to 60 mph. No issues and it even tracked fairly straight even though I have not had it aligned yet (later this week). Temp never got above 175 and oil pressure was good. ZF was not even as loud as I had expected.

Next items on the list are:

- Alignment
- New gears!!! 3.50 + 33s + ZF = no usable 5th gear and slow off the line. Looking for a used 4.56 third to hold me over until I can get both F/R setup with gears/lockers. $$$ have to take a break.
- Fun stuff. Saddleup top (replace the Fastrack top), stereo, install my NickTrixs summer doors (take off the inserts and Galen soft doors).
- Chip for the motor (based on input from Crawln68)

There are entirely too many people on this board to thank for their assistance in this buildup with all the techinical advice (Saddleup, imaginator, Bucketbolts, toddz, NicksTrix, Admin, Duke Nukem, RalighBronco, Crawln68, etc, etc...)

I know pictures are important to everyone so let me work on that this week to give you some shots other than in my driveway.

Bill

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats Bill on the progress.. Looking forward to the pics.. I was only in the service for 3 1/2 years in the AF but was in Germany & in Desert Storm so I can feel your pain w/the moves.. Good look w/the future enhancements/progress on the bronco

crawln68

Bronco Guru
That is awesome! Isn't that a great feeling when you go for the first drive. Awesome job! Yeah, lets see some pics of the shinny new motor!! ;D

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Congratts Bill

On the allignment, despite what others say I would crank in any more than 1/8 of a inch of toe in. I had read all the post on allignment, and most said go between 1/8-14 incj of toe in. Well I went to 1/4 and it drove like crap. I now have 1/6 inch of toe in and it drives much better.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Congrats on your first drive. I know it was really a trill to finally drive it.
Thank you so much for you dedication in keeping us safe, when so many do not understand the need. Many of us do appreciate the job you do.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
(due to Uncle Sam sending me to the desert 4 times) and a couple of required Army moves.

Bill

HELL YA! driving it for the first time is cool! wondering if everything works. you think it doesnt but for some reason it does.

And Thanks for everything that you are doing

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Very cool! You have a very similar setup to mine. What are you going to be doing with the bronco? Cruisin, mild trails, hardcore... The reason I ask is you mention 4.56 gears with 33" tires. I have 35" tires and 4.10 gears, which is a very close match to stock tires and gears. If you're going to do some serious crawling, the 4.56's would be good, but if you're doing a lot of highway, I'd take a look at 4.10's.

J.D.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
We wanna see it! but I know the feeling I got mine running after 3 years!

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Very cool! You have a very similar setup to mine. What are you going to be doing with the bronco? Cruisin, mild trails, hardcore... The reason I ask is you mention 4.56 gears with 33" tires. I have 35" tires and 4.10 gears, which is a very close match to stock tires and gears. If you're going to do some serious crawling, the 4.56's would be good, but if you're doing a lot of highway, I'd take a look at 4.10's.

J.D.

Thanks. I am thinking 4.56 since I will eventually move to 35" tires (should have gotten 35s to begin with) and with the ZF, I have an overdrive. Should be a good combination for street or trail.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
OK, now you've got me curious. What has Nick come up with now? I checked out his website and did not see these listed.

Not a new product from Nick. I have a set of doors that he sold me that he made for another client. I got lucky and was able to get them.

They are hard doors with the vent window frames intact, but with everything else shaved off (door handles, lock, and remainder of the window frame). Everything is smoothed over on top. Great workmanship that I give him credit for whenever I can.

Speaking of Nick, I stopped by his shop last week and he is working on a few customer Broncos. His craftsmanship is first rate with an incredible attention to detail. Took time out of his busy day to talk shop with me for over an hour.

My Bronco looks like a "bag of smashed apples" compared to what he is working on.

Attachments

• half door smoothy.JPG
    half door smoothy.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 41

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Not a new product from Nick. I have a set of doors that he sold me that he made for another client. I got lucky and was able to get them.

They are hard doors with the vent window frames intact, but with everything else shaved off (door handles, lock, and remainder of the window frame). Everything is smoothed over on top. Great workmanship that I give him credit for whenever I can.

Speaking of Nick, I stopped by his shop last week and he is working on a few customer Broncos. His craftsmanship is first rate with an incredible attention to detail. Took time out of his busy day to talk shop with me for over an hour.

My Bronco looks like a "bag of smashed apples" compared to what he is working on.

That looks pretty slick.. Lucky dogg... ;D

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
OK....a couple Poser pics. No off-roading yet today. Want to get some miles racked up on her to see what "fixes" may need to be addressed.

Attachments

• EB Roadworthy.JPG
    EB Roadworthy.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 65
  • EB Roadworthy1.JPG
    EB Roadworthy1.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 42
  • EB Roadworthy2.JPG
    EB Roadworthy2.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 50
  • EFI Front.JPG
    EFI Front.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Any local NC guys want to come over and give a good once-over to see if I forgot anything important? Fresh set of eyes gives alot of "piece of mind".

skifast

Loc.
Sandhills, NC
Hi, Bill,

First, CONGRATS on getting her running again! And get some dirt in the engine bay...she's looking too clean, LOL !

Next, a little story to tell you. We'd previously owned an EB and in a situational temporary loss of sanity, had purchased a 4x4 by another vehicle manufacturer we won't name to PCS from Alaska to NC. We got to Ft Bragg and lived on Dragonhead...3rd house on the left when you drive into the subdivision. Anyway, one summer day in a few years ago, we were washing cars in our driveway and saw you cruise by. About 5 minutes later I looked at my dear hubby and he looked at me, and we had essentially the same thought running through our minds...we had to get back to being Bronco owners.

So Bill, it is all YOUR fault (ha ha ha) that we are actually on our SECOND Bronco since that summer. One day while you were deployed, your wife stopped by when she saw our EB in the garage, but I think we moved to Ft Campbell before you got back. In any case, I guess I should say thanks for driving by that day, as we are happy to be EB owners once again!

Toshi (a Bronco wife who doesn't complain *too* much, 'cause she loves summer drives with the top off!)

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Skifast,

I remember seeing your Bronco when we moved in. Got tied up with work and then deployed and never had a chance to stop by (regret not doing that). There is another Bronco in the neighborhood that I have been attempting to meet the owner. Down towards the back side on Trappers.

Glad you got back into the EBs again;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Looks Great 70EB! Good work. Now go have some fun and get a little bit of dirt on it.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Makes mine look like a bag of rotten apples........NO MORE PICS FROM YOU BUDDY!

LOOKS DAMN FINE!