• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for 351w sources

Terry67

Loc.
Rifle, CO
I'm looking for engine sources. I am swapping out a 170 to a
351 windsor. I'm still deciding between a first generation 69-74
Or a roller cam, and Efi or carb. My Efi experience is very limited.
I've check with car parts but all were mid 80's that were over priced.
I only have one scrapyard close and they don't have any.

Also what's a good price for a working late 70's np 435?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would find the latest 351W you can find - EFI is WAY easier on the internal parts over a carb setup any day. Roller cam is nice too - stay away from the 69' blocks due to the stupid deck height differences.

I've paid ~$150 for all of my NP435's.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would recommend the later 94-97 (F4TE code on block at starter location), 351w Roller Cam block as well.

Can be fount in Vans / Broncos / F150-F350s.

Try to get the complete engine. Serpentine system will fit easily in the early Bronco and EFI 351w will have at least the injectors and fuel rails if staying with EFI. The Upper intake will NOT fit even with a very tall body lift.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Take a look at my build thread - covers the whole 351W, Mustang EFI, Explorer serp setup.

hucklburry rev2

might want to check this out..

http://www.car-part.com/

Thats a good starting point as you can search by your zip and sort to the closest one.

About rifle, my wife's aunt used to be married to Wally G, she had been to his ranch out there when she was younger. I don't know if he still owns it or not, and my wife was thinking he had an EB on the place, but wasn't sure, it was almost 30 years ago.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
x2 on the later 5.8.....vans are cheap and there is a bunch of them and most of the time you can get 1/2 the investment back by scrapping the remains

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I prefer the latest blocks. Unless you are doing something crazy they are stronger then the power you will make. Newer, less miles, less time for abuse and neglect, better fuel managment for less wear. And a 1-piece rear main seal is so much better at not leaking.

Don't rule out finding whole vehicle donor, stripping the engine and selling the shell (craig's list or scrap).

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
I also have a 351W crate motor from NAPA that came with the Bronco I bought. It's on an engine stand now, but you can take a look at it if you come by.

J.E.

OP
OP
Terry67

Terry67

Loc.
Rifle, CO
Thanks for the thoughts. The only thing I'm not sure about
With the newer engines is just a lack of experience with computers.
I want to learn but I also want to drive it and not keep it in the garage
for a long time.
I have looked on car part but there's not much to chose from.
Everyone wants $500 for high mileage engines.
I'll look at finding a van to tear into. Maybe get some other parts
ill need later.

OP
OP
Terry67

Terry67

Loc.
Rifle, CO
Thats a good starting point as you can search by your zip and sort to the closest one.

About rifle, my wife's aunt used to be married to Wally G, she had been to his ranch out there when she was younger. I don't know if he still owns it or not, and my wife was thinking he had an EB on the place, but wasn't sure, it was almost 30 years ago.

I have heard of a property in the area that has 2 broncos sitting there
covered in dust. One of these days ill Try to find it.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I got offered a one owner 94 E-250 passenger van for free Trans crapped out for the second time in ten years
Pretty typical of a ford auto trans

Think I may take it. Yank the engine
And haul the rest to the crusher

20 yr old Big passenger vans are worthless

Most ins carriers will not cover the 15 passenger vans anymore

Ins co requires proof that you've permanently removed the way back seat and removed the trailer hitch to provide ins on the van

Plus the new sprinter vans use less than half the fuel of a gasser