• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lower Tailgate repair panel

tdd95001

Loc.
Portland
Has anyone ever installed one of these? Is it a press fit/weld over the existing tailgate, or do i need to cut off the lower section of the old one and weld the new one on....??? James Duff says "press fit with spot weld" but boy it looks tight. Would hate to do all that, jam it on, only to find out that it interferes once installed back onto the main chasis. Any experience?

Thanks,

tim

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
We cut off all the rusted metal and welded it over the top of what was left. In hindsight, I wish we had cut the whole thing off. It's too bulky and doe sinterefere with the opening and closing of the tailgate. Just my opinion! The piece is heavy duty though!

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I've done two of them I bought at JBG. The ends were good on the first tailgate, so I cut out the old just inside the reinforcing strap on each end, trimmed the new panel to fit and butt welded it in retaining the original dimensions. On the second, both ends were bad also so I welded in a piece of exhaust pipe all the way across the bottom and placed the patch panel over it. A couple of freeze plugs to seal the ends and done. Don't forget to drill your hole for license plate light wires while you can see to line it up.

turbotim2

I replaced one with the JBG piece and cut out all of the lower tailgate and replaced the reinforcement loops too as they were rusted.

OP
OP
T

tdd95001

Loc.
Portland
sounds good guys. my ends are in great shape, just a damaged bottom due to a big dent. I'll cut it out and put on the replacement. Thanks for the advice!
tim