• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual Transmission Column Shifter Issues

71 Money Pit

OK Guys,
I swear I've been through the archives and found a lot of similar issues but no posts that get me to a resolution. If there is a thread with the answer, please just copy the link for me and I'll gladly head over there.

Here is the scenario:

My '71 has been mothballed for the better part of a decade. Recently started getting it roadworthy again. After a entirely new fuel system I took it for a drive. A very brief drive nonetheless, but it moved under its own power for the first time since 2012. It was good day. At that time I didn't seem to have much problem, if any, shifting through the gears. After that I took it back to the shop and had a 1" body lift installed. And that's where things went sideways. Getting it to shift into any gear or back to neutral became quite the task.

Here's what's been done since then and not necessarily in this order:

1. Shift linkage rod bushings. Top and bottom are in good shape.

2. Adjusted the shift linkage at the transmission. Followed the standard procedure. Disconnected the rods at the Trans, both transmission shift arms centered, lined up and pinned the arms on the column with the adjustment tube, adjusted and reattached at the trans. ( This helped a lot in getting 2nd and 3rd working properly and made 1st and Rev possible)

3. Replaced every bearing, bushing, spacer and insulator inside the steering column that I could get my hands on, which I think was all of them.

4. Shift Tube repair. The tab at the top of the shift tube was not broken off like some, but it did seem very worn and walled out. I had a new tab made and welded in place. After that the shift handle has a lot less wiggle in.

5. New Shift Lever Socket

So here is where it sits now. 2nd and 3rd work great. 1st and Rev, I can get it in either gear with much pressure and "Jiggling of the Handle". The gears can easily be manipulated from the bottom of the steering column and at the transmission. When I try to operate them from in the cab, it looks like both of the shift arms on the column are moving at the same time. That seems to tell me that the shift tube is not fully disengaging the 2nd and 3rd shift arm when I pull back for 1st and Rev, but damn... after all of these fixes I'm running out of ideas.

Are there any other adjustments I can make? Is there anything else that can cause the column shift arms to bind?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And No, I don't want a floor shifter. I will eventually have one but that will come with the 5-speed transmission upgrade. Why don't I want one now? Nostalgia, this is what I cut my teeth on.

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
As an extra bonus, not many “current” car thieves have a single clue how to run a 3 on a tree. Lol

Randy

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's been a while since I rebuilt my column. You need to make sure when you pull the shifter towards you it's only going to move the 1st reverse shift arm & when you hit neutral & let the spring pull the shift arm away from you it's only getting the 2/3 shift arm. I found this write up that may help -Check out fig-9/10/11 (click on the pics & they open up bigger) as that's probably where you are getting hung up.

Hope this gets you out of a jam/jammed up shifter

https://www.fordification.com/tech/3spd-column_01.htm

OP
OP
71 Money Pit

71 Money Pit

Bajabrewer,

That is a great article. Definitely the best I've seen. If I'm lucky and that's a big "if" the problem might be that the thick plastic spacer between the 2 shift arms wasn't fully rotated 90 degrees when it was put back together, and the tab that actuates the arms is getting hung up on it a little and allowing the spacer to slide outward just enough to cause some problems.. Best case, I can turn it into position with out taking it apart. Lord, I hope I don't have to take it out again!

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I dropped it off at the muffler shop this morning. The mechanic was gone to lunch so I caught a ride back to my daily driver and took the keys to the Bronco with me. He got back a few minutes before I did and seemed a little irritated that I didn't leave the keys. He just had me pull it up on the lift and we hashed out what needed to be done. As I was leaving, I said "The keys are in it. Do you know how to drive that thing. It's a 3 on the column." His eyes got big, but at least he was honest when he said "No. I'm only 33." I had to make sure he was good with it staying on the lift until I get back tomorrow, and he was. I have no doubt my truck and his shop would be absolutely wrecked if he tried to move it.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Speedrdr,

I dropped it off at the muffler shop this morning. The mechanic was gone to lunch so I caught a ride back to my daily driver and took the keys to the Bronco with me. He got back a few minutes before I did and seemed a little irritated that I didn't leave the keys. He just had me pull it up on the lift and we hashed out what needed to be done. As I was leaving, I said "The keys are in it. Do you know how to drive that thing. It's a 3 on the column." His eyes got big, but at least he was honest when he said "No. I'm only 33." I had to make sure he was good with it staying on the lift until I get back tomorrow, and he was. I have no doubt my truck and his shop would be absolutely wrecked if he tried to move it.

Awesome! I’m not sure if it’s a lack of experience with a standard vs automatic transmission, but it does give me an edge as an old driver that learned on a column shifter. Don’t know if I should be happy or not that my wife knows how to run one. Lol.

Randy

OP
OP
71 Money Pit

71 Money Pit

Awesome! I’m not sure if it’s a lack of experience with a standard vs automatic transmission, but it does give me an edge as an old driver that learned on a column shifter. Don’t know if I should be happy or not that my wife knows how to run one. Lol.

Randy

Randy

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
FUN story about the "kid" at the muffler shop! :)

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
71 Money Pit

71 Money Pit

Well guys, I still don't have a final answer on this shifter issue. Things have been a little hectic with the holidays and everyone around me(including me) getting the flu. I've looked over the articles and found more articles and more diagrams. I keep finding conflicting information. I'm more confused now than I was before, but maybe y'all can help me. If any of you still have a column shifter in good working order, all I need to know is this: When you look into the slot where the shifter arms come out of the column, and the spacer between the 2 arms is visible. Is the surface of the spacer you see the flat side of the spacer, or is it the curved end of the spacer? If anyone could post a picture of the spacer that clearly shows its orientation installed in a column that is actually working, I would be most grateful.

On a happy note, the old nag has a nice shiny new pair of shoes. Got a set of Cooper Discoverer SST Pro 33x12.50x15s put on the other day, and they look absolutely fantastic. I almost messed up and went with 35s. I am so glad I didn't. If I can get it shifting better, I'll find a muddy trail to run down to see if they dig as well as the 20 year old Buckshot Maxxis 31x10.50s that were on there.

Weldon

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Well guys, I still don't have a final answer on this shifter issue. Things have been a little hectic with the holidays and everyone around me(including me) getting the flu. I've looked over the articles and found more articles and more diagrams. I keep finding conflicting information. I'm more confused now than I was before, but maybe y'all can help me. If any of you still have a column shifter in good working order, all I need to know is this: When you look into the slot where the shifter arms come out of the column, and the spacer between the 2 arms is visible. Is the surface of the spacer you see the flat side of the spacer, or is it the curved end of the spacer? If anyone could post a picture of the spacer that clearly shows its orientation installed in a column that is actually working, I would be most grateful.

On a happy note, the old nag has a nice shiny new pair of shoes. Got a set of Cooper Discoverer SST Pro 33x12.50x15s put on the other day, and they look absolutely fantastic. I almost messed up and went with 35s. I am so glad I didn't. If I can get it shifting better, I'll find a muddy trail to run down to see if they dig as well as the 20 year old Buckshot Maxxis 31x10.50s that were on there.

Weldon
I’ve got a 3 on the tree that shifts fairly well. When I get out to the shop in the morning, I’ll try to get some decent pics and post.

Randy

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA

Weldon
Does your 71 still have a 1971 column in it? The column changed in 73, and the spacer is different. Here's a couple of pics from my 67, and my 73 column. They added a key to the spacer, and to the column to make it idiot proof. But they just created more idiots.

Attachments

• 73_column.jpg
    73_column.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 67_column.jpg
    67_column.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 57

Buckaroo

Contributor
Loc.
Rockies
Weldon, I’m curious on your final fix and orientation of the shift arm spacer? I’m running into the same problem and similar confusion. I’ve tried both the 90* rotation with the flat face showing and then the round edge showing with no rotation. After rotation the shift arms are very tight and the spacer is jammed into the column tube forcing the shift tube to be out of alignment and it won’t fully seat into the housing. So I’m back to original fix with round edge showing and shift arms moving freely with shift tube fully seated. I haven’t fully assembled and would rather not do it a forth time! Which way did it work out for you? Thanks, Craig

Buckaroo

Contributor
Loc.
Rockies
On the pic from jamesroney for the 1973 version it looks like it’s the rounded edge facing up. Mine is a 1970

77broncojon

I'm on a similar path with my 77.
I recently replaced all of the internals outside of the shift tube and shift rod.
What's happening in my case is after driving for a while my shift collar starts to get stiff. I have to use a lot of force to get it into any gear. Its like metal on metal. Once the bronco has cooled it shifts like a dream.
My going assumption right now is that something is expanding and causing friction.
  • Maybe the wavy washer between the shift tube and the collar? its also new...
  • Shift levers and adjustments seem fine
  • I did notice that the thick plastic spacer moves along with the longer shift lever (Which I think is normal)
Anything else I should check?