• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual transmission.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love my 3-on-the-tree, wing windows and rumble of a good V8. Just feel more connected to the road with a manual (aka millennial anti theft device).

amfw

Mine's on the floor, but definitely prefer the stick to the auto that was on my '76

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I vaguely remember the arguably good-shifting 3 on the tree that I removed 26 years ago. Been through a few transmission changes since then. I much prefer my NV4500. But that’s a personal preference based on practicality for how I use my Bronco. For an around-town cruiser I can see a 3 on the tree being kind of stylish.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I miss a good shifting column shift 3 speed! Anyone else?

I'm a big fan. My '69 still has the original 3 on the tree; when I'm home for Christmas, I'll replace the shift linkage bushings and verify adjustment so it should be working fine.

On a related note, I'm also a fan of manual drum brakes and manual steering, too!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Pat, I'll be the odd man out here! I don't miss any 3-on-the-tree! In fact I don't particularly like column shifts - manual or auto - at all. I don't hate them, I just prefer a floor shift. Of the 4 Broncos I currently own, I have converted 3 of them to floor shifters. My 74 Ranger with a C4 is completely stock so I would never consider converting it. For me, a floor shifter is much more fun to drive. Flame suit on!

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Gary, no flame suit required. Like cut or uncut, it’s all personal preference. I’ll take a manual over an auto in any flavor. Have one on the floor and my DD (4Runner) is straight drive on the floor as well. Can definitely see where an auto would be an advantage when wheeling or if living in a busier area with constant stop and go traffic.

bmbm

Yes a unique experience that I miss. Growing up I drove them often.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
i loved it but sacrificed it for a C4 in one and NP435 in the other, And also a Toploader wide ratio 4 speed behind the Cleveland in my copper77

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love a good shifting manual transmission! I live in a rural area so traffic and starting and stopping is not an issue. I have three speeds on the column behind six cylinders and V-8's, a four speed toploader behind a Cleveland, a 435 four speed behind a Cleveland, and a ZF 5 speed behind a 302. I also have automatics, C4 and a AOD, but I'll have to say I enjoy driving the manuals more.

Comemonday71

Contributor
347 stroker, Toploader wide ratio 4 speed, Centerforce clutch and 4:11 gears.......Love it!