• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Marti Report D44 Question

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Ok, I feel kind of dumb asking this question, but here it goes. I am gathering parts and pieces to restoring a 72 from the ground up and want to do it as it rolled out of the factory. My question is about the front axle. From what I understand, 71/72 was the transition from the D30 to the D44. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I recently got the Marti Report for this Bronco. How can I tell by reading the Marti Report if this particular Bronco was originally built with a D30 or D44?

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought the D44 came in 71. There is a difference between the 71-72.5 D44 and the later ones related to the spindle/axle seal. I doubt a Marti report would note this. From WH website:

71-72 1/2 Dana 44's use a spindle with the spindle/outer axle seal pressed into the back of it. These have 6 bolt holes. The 72 1/2-75's do not have the spindle/outer axle seal pressed into the back. It is located on the outer axle seal flange which is pressed onto the outer axle itself. These also have 6 bolt holes.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is a specific vin sequence number when the d44 was supposed to have begun. I have it somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought the change to the D44 was 71 1/2ish. You should be good and have the original D44 under yours.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
I thought the D44 came in 71. There is a difference between the 71-72.5 D44 and the later ones related to the spindle/axle seal. I doubt a Marti report would not this. From WH website:

71-72 1/2 Dana 44's use a spindle with the spindle/outer axle seal pressed into the back of it. These have 6 bolt holes. The 72 1/2-75's do not have the spindle/outer axle seal pressed into the back. It is located on the outer axle seal flange which is pressed onto the outer axle itself. These also have 6 bolt holes.

My 72 production date 10/71. Dana 44 with h the above mentioned seal pressed into back side of spindle I can post vin later on this evening..

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What do you have now, if you have a d44 it’s probably what was there from the start.
I know you want to be exact but I wouldn’t pull a d44 for a d30. During an axle transition period. Because I don’t think anyone could be exactly sure.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
My 12/70' 71' has a 44, and there are 71' earlier than mine with original 44s.

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
What do you have now, if you have a d44 it’s probably what was there from the start.
I know you want to be exact but I wouldn’t pull a d44 for a d30. During an axle transition period. Because I don’t think anyone could be exactly sure.

I don't have either right now. I am gathering parts to build it from the ground up. So I wanted to make sure that I am buying the correct parts.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, it's somewhere around 10/70 or 11/70 production date....10/70

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Depending on the source, it was 9/27/70 or 10/1/70 when the switch occurred. VIN K20000 is, or is close to, the changeover per some old Ford docs and Spicer parts catalogs.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Depending on the source, it was 9/27/70 or 10/1/70 when the switch occurred. VIN K20000 is, or is close to, the changeover per some old Ford docs and Spicer parts catalogs.

Todd Z.

So I'm going to assume that there is nothing in the Marti Report that ID's the front axle. Seems the best way to tell is by the dates and VIN that you described.

Thank you everyone for the information. This helps me out a lot.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
So I'm going to assume that there is nothing in the Marti Report that ID's the front axle. Seems the best way to tell is by the dates and VIN that you described.

Thank you everyone for the information. This helps me out a lot.

I have seen some 71' Marti that list the Dana 44 front axle, and they were built prior to my 12/70 build. My Marti doesn't mention it, but then again my seat code/description is not correct either in my Marti lol. Honestly I think it's random whether the Dana 44 is mention or not.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ok, I feel kind of dumb asking this question, but here it goes. I am gathering parts and pieces to restoring a 72 from the ground up and want to do it as it rolled out of the factory. My question is about the front axle. From what I understand, 71/72 was the transition from the D30 to the D44. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I recently got the Marti Report for this Bronco. How can I tell by reading the Marti Report if this particular Bronco was originally built with a D30 or D44?

never a dumb question....