• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moog or Spicer ball joints?

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
I'm gathering the needed parts to R&R my Dana 44, and convert it to disc brakes that I robbed from an F150. I'm looking at the Moog and Spicer ball joints and they're pretty much the same price. Moog used to be my go to, but their stuff seems to be hit or miss for the last 10 years. So, I'm tempted to try the spicer.
Wondering what good or bad luck other people have had?
SD

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Haven't compared the ball joints but for u-joints I've had better luck with the stock spicers

Last edited:

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I’ve been running moog on my eb for the past 10 years with good success. Make sure you get the ones with grease fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Just don't let them sell you Moog because of the zerks.
My Spicer originals (un-zerked) lasted for over 250K miles.

OP
OP
U

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
Just don't let them sell you Moog because of the zerks.
My Spicer originals (un-zerked) lasted for over 250K miles.

Well, that thinking is sort of the issue. I doubt very much that the spicer ball joints you get today are the same as what was available 40-50 years ago. Same with Moog. I received a replacement drag link for my Diesel Ram, as the first Moog part was bought with a lifetime warranty 12 years earlier. The new part, with the same part number was clearly not made to the same standards as the original, and it barely lasted 2 years. I'm sure that many brands outsource various parts (to the lowest bidder). This is especially true of bearings, as you can get an import bearing in an SKF box, and it is not a mistake.
Maybe Spicer still has decent ball joints, maybe not. The only way to know for sure is ask
SD

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
And more often then not the upper joint zerk fitting clearance to axle u-joint is slim to none,,you have to grease pull zerk fitting out and reinstall plug fitting,Also the moog joints have a courser outside spline which take more pressure to get then pressed in ( I found this true on 1/2 ton as well as ford super duty applications)

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used Moog when initially building my D44. The grease fittings were kind of a pain to be honest, you have to grease them, whereas the Spicer you run them, just check for slack when you do maintenance. When I replaced my chevy disc with Ford disc to run RCV axles I switched to the Spicers.

Digger556

I work in the aftermarket chassis parts world.

Spicer hands down, no comparison.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely Spicer. Moogs failed quickly in the Baja 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
SPICER all the way, the best you can get. They are better than ever. moogs wont last very long, made outside the US now

PaveBronco

I ended up with Moog on one side and Spicer on the other, I had a slight garage parts storage issue.
So I'll get back with you guys in 10 years or so.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Moog quality is terrible compared to decades ago... Spicer still seems to have some QC standards...