• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

spicer or moog balljoints

74LIFE

Loc.
rolling prairie,ind
looking for the best replacment balljoint, narrowed it down to either spicer or moog. currently running 42" super swampers have been running these tires for about 15 years, mostly on sand and mud. probably will be going to a 37" tire in the future. Rims are 15x14" alcoa's nos, Also have 1 ton streering from mikes will need to add spacers to allow me to run current rim's with all the stress want the best balljoint. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Tim

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think you can go wrong either way. I have Moog in mine which have the grease fittings in the side, bought Spicer for Bradlee from Complete Offroad when ordering other parts which was all they sold, I don't think there are any grease fittings on those, sealed.

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
Anytime you buy tie rod ends, ball joints, u-joints etc. you should definitely get them with grease fittings, and carry a grease gun with you or at least grease the fittings after water crossings or playing in the mud.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I don't think you can go wrong either way. I have Moog in mine which have the grease fittings in the side, bought Spicer for Bradlee from Complete Offroad when ordering other parts which was all they sold, I don't think there are any grease fittings on those, sealed.

Are you saying theat the upper ball joint has a zerk in the side?
I cuss at this every time I grease the darn things, I have to pull the axle out just to screw in a zerk. Makes a lube job a most of day project as I may as well repack bearings anyway.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Spicer are by far a better ball joint IMO, BUT Moog are satisfaction guaranteed. So if you are killing them (with 42's I am sure you are) its nicer to turn them for free new ones.
If its the first time you have replaced then in over 5 years, just get spicers.
Parts Mike used to sell them the cheapest.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My '77 had the origonal Spicer ball joints without zerks for over 275K miles. They were still in good shape when I changed them. I replaced them just because of age. Of course I replaced them with the same thing!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Spicer has never let me down - Moog has always been a great choice as well. You cannot go wrong with either brand - the choice comes down to if you want zercs or not.

OP
OP
74LIFE

74LIFE

Loc.
rolling prairie,ind
This the first time that i'm replacing them,since owning the bronco 20 plus years only one was bad, right lower. 42" have been on for at least 15 years not much road use, mud ,trails, and alot of silver lake sand dunes where i brutalize it i'm sure the sand help's keep it together, have had only a couple of broken front axle joints give away(heavy footed landings) from jumping.The timken bearings are also holding up well repack every year not abad one in the bunch. I am in the midst of a complete tear down, frame sand blasted axles completly tore down and sand blasted going to paint frame and axles with eastwood chassis paint. I'M probably going to go with spicer balljoints since the ones i pulled out where so damm tough. Tim

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I Too liked the Spicer best but I think it was just because I'd always sold them but in my later years in the parts business I sold a lot of Moogs ...Today I'd ask and try and find of if either has bronze bushing inside and not plastic ...I bet both have plastic today...

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I have Moogs. hey are top shelf and easy to service. That makes it an easy choice for me. Like was said before the others takes a lot of time just to get to them to get a zerk in them. Grease the Moogs and go. They will last too.