• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MSD Distributor wiring/timing question

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Can you help me confirm something?

I was told recently that I should verify my ignition system and timing is correct by doing the following test.

Check timing at idle, rev the engine up and watch the timing, it should advance as the engine revs up. In my case, not only is the idle timing high 20 degrees, but it drops to 18 then 16 as I rev it up.

I was told this means my reluctor (sp?) is upside down and to reverse the wires coming from the distributor to the MSD box.

Has anyone ever heard of this and can validate this is right?

I have a 351 with a MSD distributor and MSD distributor box.

Appreciate the input.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I have heard that some MSD boxes retard the timing 4 degrees. guess it has something to do with magnetic pickup lag at higher RPM later on the box gives the 4 degrees back. Does the timing ever increase beyond 16 at higher RPM? Should test the advance to about 3500 RPM.