• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Must have tools for a Noob

dsrtrat

Hi all! Got a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Go easy on me as I am completely new to the hobby. I have done some very basic work on previous vehicles like changing CV axels out of Toyota corolla, changed a-arms/coilovers/CV axels on my Ford Ranger, Installed and wired multiple light bars and switches etc.

I have a 1973 Bronco that is in good shape overall. I do have a lot more work to get started on though. Obviously to do this requires tools. I have some basic tools but my garage is pretty sad and I borrow a lot of tools from my dad to do work on other cars. I’m trying to compile a list of tools that I can start adding to my collection that are must haves for working on my bronco. It’s really kinda embarrassing the lack of tools I have. I don’t even have an air compressor 😔. I really only have a couple full sets of all size wrenches and socket sets. I’m not a professional mechanic (clearly) so I will not be needing the really high end stuff. I am looking for affordable and reliable. I know some Harbor Freight stuff is fine but overall, not much sold there is of high quality. I’m looking for middle of the road stuff that’ll last a long time. I would like to have all of the tools necessary to fix near anything on the Bronco (minus paint). Here are some things I have identified as what I will need. Recommendations on others is welcome and I would especially appreciate opinions on brands etc. Thanks in advance. I have already learned a lot from this website and am looking forward to getting this Bronco in top shape with my own hands.

-Air compressor and associated drills
- Another floor jack and better jack stands
-Grinder
-Mig welder (I do know there is a curve to learning basic welding and have began learning as much as possible via good old youtube)
-Air chisel?

Planned fixes and upgrades
-Floor panel replacements
-Power Steering
-Power Brakes with conversion from drum to disk
-Door panels replaced. Where the soft doors are mounted looks fiberglass (only fiberglass I have been able to find). The mounts and bolts are not secure and wable around.
-Engine work
-A/c install

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
The power disk brake conversion is pretty simple .. pretty much bolt on, especially to a dana 44

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
This may not be what you are looking for, but my suggestion would be to only buy tools as you need them. That way you don’t have a lot of tools that you may never use, or tools sitting around becoming obsolete with the warranty running out before you even use them, and you know you are getting the right tool for the job.

Don’t purchase a lot of specialized tools that you may never use, or you may only use once. When I need a tool I typically buy it and keep it, but If it’s something I may never need again, and is expensive, I borrow it from a shop or parts store.

For stuff you know you want but don’t need right away, shop around, do your research, and buy good stuff. You will find that you build up your supply of tools pretty quick.

Mikesimp70

Hi all! Got a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Go easy on me as I am completely new to the hobby. I have done some very basic work on previous vehicles like changing CV axels out of Toyota corolla, changed a-arms/coilovers/CV axels on my Ford Ranger, Installed and wired multiple light bars and switches etc.

I have a 1973 Bronco that is in good shape overall. I do have a lot more work to get started on though. Obviously to do this requires tools. I have some basic tools but my garage is pretty sad and I borrow a lot of tools from my dad to do work on other cars. I’m trying to compile a list of tools that I can start adding to my collection that are must haves for working on my bronco. It’s really kinda embarrassing the lack of tools I have. I don’t even have an air compressor 😔. I really only have a couple full sets of all size wrenches and socket sets. I’m not a professional mechanic (clearly) so I will not be needing the really high end stuff. I am looking for affordable and reliable. I know some Harbor Freight stuff is fine but overall, not much sold there is of high quality. I’m looking for middle of the road stuff that’ll last a long time. I would like to have all of the tools necessary to fix near anything on the Bronco (minus paint). Here are some things I have identified as what I will need. Recommendations on others is welcome and I would especially appreciate opinions on brands etc. Thanks in advance. I have already learned a lot from this website and am looking forward to getting this Bronco in top shape with my own hands.

-Air compressor and associated drills
- Another floor jack and better jack stands
-Grinder
-Mig welder (I do know there is a curve to learning basic welding and have began learning as much as possible via good old youtube)
-Air chisel?

Planned fixes and upgrades
-Floor panel replacements
-Power Steering
-Power Brakes with conversion from drum to disk
-Door panels replaced. Where the soft doors are mounted looks fiberglass (only fiberglass I have been able to find). The mounts and bolts are not secure and wable around.
-Engine work
-A/c install

Get yourself a good torque wrench.
A 3/8 and 1/2 Milwaukee 18V Impact

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
1/2" wrench;D, think there's a critter or something that make mine disappear all the time%)

Bogar

Caveat: I don’t always (read seldom) follow my own advice. In this global market and being nonprofessional, I think you should purchase every tool from HF. If the tool breaks, then you should upgrade in quality as it is needed. I’m a tool freak and I always like “the best” and I realize I have wasted a ton of money. If I were starting out, I would go HF! Welcome to the hobby and get ready to spend some money!

Bogar

PS - Create your garage with pictures and add you location etc. as this info is helpful when asking technical questions.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
A higher lift floor jack. 1/2 torque wrench. Tall jack stands. Short rolling mechanics stool.
A four prong hub socket. 4-1/2 inch hand grinder. I like the dewalt 20 volt cordless drill and driver kit and get the 20 volt 1/2" impact. A shop worklight for under hood and under truck work. A sawzall, a good vise. A good set of screwdrivers with handles you can actually hold on to. A set of american made drill bits from 1/16 to 1/2" in 1/32 steps. A set of step drills up to 1 inch diameter. Buy the basic hand tools used at the swapmeet if you can.

A timing light and tune up tachometer. A digital ohmn meter. A good work bench. A decent size first aid kit and fire extinguisher. 3 pairs of safety glasses and a face shield. A oil drain pan. A hand pumped power brake bleeder. A set of heavy welding gloves, a set of medium weight work gloves and a pair of light weight nimble fingered mechanics work gloves. A large white board with colored markers. A decent 2 stage oil type air compressor. A tablet with camera and internet in the work area.

Buy as much stuff used at a swapmeet as you can.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
My vote also is buy tools as you need them. Don’t be so quick to knock off HF tools. I grabbed one of their smaller socket sets just to have a convenient grab and go set I have had any issues with it. I have their speed wrenchs also. The first big socket set I bought was a Craftsman I still have it’s got to be 30 yrs old . Their stuff is not was well built now but still capable and at a fair price . So don’t feel the need you have to grab a Snap -On .
Must Have specialty tool —— Hub scoket ( 4 point)
Jack stands
Floor jack
You really don’t have to buy a ton of tools
I have some Milwaukee stuff and love it . The M18 Fuel 1/2 drive will be worth it pulling tires. I have the M-12 3/8 ratchet and small 3/8 impact.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I started with a imported 3/8 socket set.
somewhere along the way picked up a craftsman 300 or so piece set and added impact sockets and tools alson the way.
then bought a used snap-on / tool truck set or 2 off craigslist
still can't find a 1/2" wrench and I have a doze on them.
get a set of gear wrenches, check advance auto for the sale around $30 a set

I now have a bitchin set of tools but only use 10% of them.

if one a budget find a used set on craigslist or a combo 200,300 400 plus piece set of craftsman tools ( they are not like they were in the past IMO) check online for sales.

skip the compressor get a milwaukee 1/2" impact

get a couple of 4.5" grinders HF work Ok at $15 but expect to throw a few in the trash every year, I have a half dozen of every brand I like the Matabo the best. 2 are nice 1 for flap disks and one for cut off wheels, get bandaids you will loose a knuckle or 2.
get a face shield or be one of the cool guys with cool safety glasses and turn away , I use a savephase wraps the face some so nothing sneaks in, plus safety glasses.
http://savephace.com/

Jack stands the larger cast HF work Ok i have 4 or more .

other than that you will figure out what you need along the way and buy it or rent it from advance auto or autozone, It works sometimes I always get broken tools.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I'll argue for Kano Labs Aerokroil or Kroil, in every test that anyone has done vs PB Blaster the minimum that it has been is twice as good.

I have used Koril n the other name brands but for the price you pay Blaster works for me.

Last week I picked up a tiller that the outter tines had not been off in over 20 yrs. Soak for a few hours in PB Blaster and with the help of a Big hammer they came off.

As I looked down in the flue of the tines where they slide over the others, you could see where the blaster had soaked all the way through..

But I discorverd Kroil about 20 yrs ago when in the business of vintage dirt bikes. That sruff was a life saver. Just very expansive!

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I'll add my Makita 4 1/2 inch grinder with grinding discs, cutting discs, and wire brush. Less than $100.
Also my right angle die grinder (air tool) with gasket cleaning cookies, sanding discs, and high RPM wire brush.
As mentioned,You will need the 4 prong axle nut socket.
I don't think anyone mentioned a grease gun and the needed grease needle for the u joint cups.
X2 on the safety glasses and 4 6 ton jack stands.
A box of single edge razor blades.
Drum brake spring tools and adjuster spoon, I bought KD brake tools in the 1970s.
Good luck

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
On something cheaper and easier to replace like a tiller I would use less expensive penetrating oil too.
But on a Bronco, where anything you wreck may mean a hunt for parts, some that were only used on Broncos and often extra work to save the other parts connected to what I want off?
I pick the stuff that works and call it money well spent.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well here I thought you had no regard to historical preservation or authenticity.