• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Paint Advise

schneire

Loc.
Lindenhurst
Nope, not a another "what paint approach is better thread".
I found a lot of great information on this site about painting approaches and have decided on a path. I have done all the sheet metal work and have filled and smoothes all the imperfection. The body is in great shape but has a lot of bare metal showing. I have not sprayed primer or paint. So, the search for painters started. I don't need a show quality paint job. Just something that looks decent and protects the metal.

I started with MAACO, but have now ruled them out becuase of the reviews for the specific dealers within range of me. I think I am ok with the quality of their paint job itself. However, a lot of the complaints were about overspray and bad service. That I am not ok with.

I live about 45 minutes north of Chicago. I have only found 2 auto body shop that will paint entire cars. The first started at $4,000 and was a rural off the beaten path shop and the second started at $10,000.

Does anyone have experience with a shop in my area that they could recommend? I would like to be in the $2k-$3k range.

jeff_gates

I wish you luck, I have a Camaro in need of paint, I found that most auto places only want to do insurance work. I found one place that would paint it for $7000 and they really didn't want to do it. So I'm going to do it myself.

Jeff

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
If your just looking for 'Just something that looks decent and protects the metal'
shoot it yourself. I went this route because I new I would 'scratch and dent'. And I did the first time out! Glad I didn't invest thousands.

jperry1290

I did mine myself for the same reasons and it turned out well. However, the isocyinates in the paint are really bad for you and are "water loving" so it will enter you pores eyes nose etc. I wore a filter masked and built a spray booth with good ventilation in my garage. I had a decent headache for two days following the paint job. The prices seem high for paint. I am having my 66 mustang blasted to bare metal and repainted for $8600 in Ca where prices are usually higher. Look on craigslist for new painters doung cheaper work or take a class at the junior college and use their spray booth.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Spend a few hundred on a fresh air breathing system, then ebay it and likely get 2/3rds back. I also like the tyvek white suits and double glove....paint fuses are REALLY toxic.

R.P. Coltrane

Loc.
Iowa, the flat part
The thing to remember with Maaco is 90% of a paintjob is prep. (excluding fading) So if you really did prep it properly getting a quality paint job out of them is realistic, despite bad online reviews. Get down to the lots and check out what they're producing. And I'm certain there is more than one maaco type shop in the chicago area.

The guy spraying at maaco can probably lay down a real slick paint job. He runs the gun all day. The secret is telling the counter guy that's what you're expecting and not trying to get out of there for $399. There's $500 of material in a crappy paint job, and you'll still need to pay for a few hours of their time.

Tip about most private body shops. They don't want to shoot paint over amateur wavy bodywork on a classic vehicle. Classic vehicles generate a lot of talk and they don't want their name dragged thru the mud, people will assume the bodywork is their doing. So they tend to include about 2G of prep work in a basic paint job.

good luck with the truck!

Last edited:

FordFarmer

Contributor
The thing to remember with Maaco is 90% of a paintjob is prep. (excluding fading) So if you really did prep it properly getting a quality paint job out of them is realistic, despite bad online reviews. Get down to the lots and check out what they're producing. And I'm certain there is more than one maaco type shop in the chicago area.

The guy spraying at maaco can probably lay down a real slick paint job. He runs the gun all day. The secret is telling the counter guy that's what you're expecting and not trying to get out of there for $399. There's $500 of material in a crappy paint job, and you'll still need to pay for a few hours of their time.

Tip about most private body shops. They don't want to shoot paint over amateur wavy bodywork on a classic vehicle. Classic vehicles generate a lot of talk and they don't want their name dragged thru the mud, people will assume the bodywork is their doing. So they tend to include about 2G of prep work in a basic paint job.

My first car was a '65 Mustang and when I was looking in to repainting it (18 years ago) I came across an article in Mustang Monthly where they suggested you do as Mr. Coltrane said if you were on a budget. Prep as much as you can, as well as you can and head to the MAACO. Make your expectations clear and see if they're up for it. If I recall correctly the owner in the article also spent some time in the shop helping with the final prep and doing most if not all the wet sanding.

Good luck and post pic no matter how it turns out!

allenfahey

Bronco Guru

I've been an automotive painter for 20+ years. This opinion of MAACO painters are based on the area I live in. MAACO painters are generally just helpers that are starting their careers as a painter. There are also painters that can't cut it in quality body shops that wind up in MAACO. MAACO wages are low as is the price they charge for a paint job. If MAACO is on your resume it would probably hurt you more than it helps you. Just my observation of how things are in my area.

For an all over paint job we would charge about 45-60 hours @ $42 per hour just for paint labor. Does not include body time, R&I times, or paint materials. Materials are $26 per paint labor hour.
For example 50 hours @ $42= $2100 for just the outside of a Bronco. Materials would be $1300. Body time is variable depending on what needs done. The shop pays me 44% of the $2100, or $924. That would be a lot more than the whole MAACO paint job costs. MAACO uses cheap labor and even cheaper materials. You get what you pay for!

Part of the reason you can't find a shop to do is because we only want to work on modern cars. No rust to deal with, OEM parts fit like a glove, and it's quick and out the door. Rustorations are generally fill in work when it gets slow. I however would rather go home.