• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need to Bleed Brakes? Prop Valve Leak

NJBronk

Contributor
I had a leak at my proportioning valve, coming from the hard line in front that goes to the front brakes (seeping between line and nut). I got a set of flare nut wrenches and just tightened it up. I think it did the trick (pump brake pedal with truck off and nothing coming out).

First, is that a decent enough test? Or should the truck be running so the vacuum booster is engaged?

Secondly, would this type of leak have introduced air into the system? Do I need to bleed the brakes? Just the front?

Brakes are something I’ve never done before and make me a bit nervous that I’ll mess something up given the importance / safety aspect…

Guidance is appreciated!

ksbronco75

Contributor
Not enough to introduce air. Drive it a little while to get the blood flowing after your park it, check your “repair” on your brake line. If it’s it leaking, go for another ride to double check it. If it’s not, enjoy. Initial leaking could be due to loose tightening or old fluid that was around. Clean the areas before driving, if it doesn’t leak after, enjoy