• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need tune up advise

Retoohstyoh

After sitting many years by previous owner I'm sure the 302 in my 71 would benefit from a good tune up. I did a couple simple things like an oil change and air filter. What do you guys recommend for a good set of plugs and wires? Also, what else could I do to get this thing running a little better? Maybe the distributor or carburetor need looked at? I'm in no way a mechanic so any advise would be appreciated.

Mitche11

A dormant engine almost always needs the carb rebuilt. It’s not a bad job, just make sure you have enough space to lay all the pieces and parts out and work slowly on disassembly. I always take a bunch of pics before disassembly, especially focusing on linkage, and any moving parts that intertwine. Other than that, make sure you don’t have a bunch of rust and crap in the bottom of the tank. I know it sounds tedious, but a clean fuel system may make sure you get home, and aren’t parked on the side of a dirt road with a gunked up fuel line or fuel pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason72Bronco

+1 on spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and points. To start, I agree just clean as many ports and everything you can on the carb with carb cleaner.

Address the coolant. Drain and refill with water and radiator flush (I like Blue Devil). Follow instructions which basically run it for a while with the flush/water and then drain and refill with fresh 50/50 coolant water. You will be amazed at how much junk will come out with the flush. This also keeps your temperatures where they should be. It would be a convenient time to change the thermostat while you have the coolant drain. Easy and cheap.

New fuel filter. I'd buy two. Put a new one on and run half tank of good gas with full bottle of fuel/carb cleaner then replace fuel filter again and refill the tank. Again, cheap and easy insurance for not getting stranded.

Flush brake fluid. With help, not a bad job at all. Note that if you are new to this, when opening brake lines and fittings you want to use a crescent flare wrench, not a normal open end wrench. Trust me, the first time you round off a brake fitting with a regular wrench, you will wish you had done it right.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescen...eLCyuf2I4jSD6LNwd8tCLnDfIi0d3C3gaAswEEALw_wcB

New battery cables are a good investment. Good current flow and good ground will help with lots of issues.

Take a look at hoses and belts. Cracks or fraying = time for replacement so you don't get stranded when they go.

If the engine area is dirty, grab a can of Gunk Engine Degreaser and a hose. Not only does having it somewhat clean make it less of a dirty chore to work on it, but being clean helps you actually to be able to fix problems: you are able to see the source of any leaks, the color of the wires, lost tools left behind by the previous owner, etc. and it may help your engine run cooler. Worth $4.

Finally, keep track of the dates, mileage and part # on all the work you do, no matter how small. Having that record is good for both you and any owner down the road.

OP
OP
R

Retoohstyoh

Okay, I will clean up the carb and replace the cap, rotor and points. Looks like this is a cheap upgrade. Just pulled a plug. They are Motorcraft BSF42C. Would you stay with the same or is there a different plug you'd recommend? Also, if replacing the wires what would work best with this plug?