• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np 435 swap hole in tunnel?

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
hello
I'am in the middle of doing this swap and i'am at the point where I need to open up the tunnel.i read on here that the body brace under the tunnel need to be cut? my question is? is it just the brace that needs to go or do I need to cut the floor in that area as well I do not have a body lift and I know I need to cut forward to just under the heater port if you will,,thanks for any replys.
edit: I guess what I really want to know is how far towards the back from the brace under neath do I need to cut? I just don't want to cut more than I have to
thanks again.

Last edited:

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I nibbled a bit on mine doing thru trial and error, and since I was stabbing the tranny/transfer case by myself, in the dirt. I ended up cutting most of the tunnel out from under the heater duct bactk to about 2 inches from the orig hole for the Jshifter stick. This made it easier to stab, and allowed easy access to the bolts and nuts holding the adapter to the tranny( I have had an issue with the nut coming loose), and installing the twin sticks. I cut the tunnel out of another bronco with the proper size holes for the shifters, and bolted all that down. It added a little strength as well, since I had to cut so much of the brace out

pumpkinbronc

Loc.
Chester, AR
Wild horses sells a tunnel cover that covers up a pretty good size hole, Its pretty stout and could be welded in or screwed in, I screwed mine in for easy access if I ever have to pull my tranny again. It runs around 30 bucks I believe. Without having a body lift you may have issues with the shift tower/shifter hitting the heater also.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Without having a body lift you may have issues with the shift tower/shifter hitting the heater also.

I have enough issues thank you very much. :( :p

Good luck to you lamp. I'll probably give mine another try this coming weekend. Got to cut more, and hope pumpkin isn't right.... :eek:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I put one in this summer without a body lift. I had to keep cutting the tunnel until it fit. I know I should have cut a template and scanned it to show how much I cut up towards the heater. Towards the rear, I went clear back to the back of the 4WD shifter hole then across. I liked having the extra room.

I did buy 2 7/16" bolts and cut the heads off, sawed notches to make them "flat head" screwdriver compatible for the lower transmissions tabs to align with.

It is a tight fit but can be done. I was doing it by myself right after I had nose surgery so I wasn't supposed to exert much so I had to keep coming up with mechanical help.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I have enough issues thank you very much. :( :p

Good luck to you lamp. I'll probably give mine another try this coming weekend. Got to cut more, and hope pumpkin isn't right.... :eek:

It's tight to the heater box, even with a 1" lift. I used the Gear Banger shifter, cutting existing shifter right below the bend and still had very little room. Heating and re-bending stock shifter lower will be a necessity. Then that gives you problems if removing/installing the shifter collar. The WH body mount kit with 1" lift built in are well worth the time and money. Good luck and enjoy.

galen1970b

I recently installed WHs 1" body lift with their gear banger shift kit, its tight to the box but doesnt hit...here's some before and after pics..

Attachments

• 20120504_155143.jpg
    20120504_155143.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 2013-04-14 17.24.35.jpg
    2013-04-14 17.24.35.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 2013-05-05 18.15.33.jpg
    2013-05-05 18.15.33.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 2013-05-14 20.10.26.jpg
    2013-05-14 20.10.26.jpg