• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Np-435 swap what am I missing?

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I am getting everything together for this swap I have made a list of things needed to do it what am I missing?
Truck its going in has a 3 speed on the floor now.

NP-435 swap parts list:
NP-435 trans with correct output shaft---check
Trans to intermediate housing adaptor--- Check
6Cy intermidiate housing---Check
Re Seal kit for NP-435---need to order
1" body lift---need to order
New clutch--- need to order
resurface flywheel--- need to do

Has anyone had problems with clutch linkage after a 1" body lift? I am expecting to have to extend my steering shaft. Any other unexpected things to look out for? I know there are alot of threads about this but I dont belive in too much info.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
you will have to extend the clutch rod, either cut and weld or buy an adjustable one.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I bought the WH heavy duty clutch rod - plenty of adjustment.
My Bronco is a 76 so it had a slip joint in the steering and I didn't have to mess with extending the steering.
Don't forget to move your fan shroud - I didn't and destroyed it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While not missing it might be a good idea to put new bushings and felts in your equalizer bar. It will help tighten things up.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Thanks for the info everyone my clutch linkage is adjustable but I may need to extend it. I dont have to woory about the fan shroud because I dont have one. Keep the info coming!

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Make sure you have enough play in your neagtive battery cable as the battery goes up an inch and the motor/frame stays put.

Pay attention to your main gas tank filler tube although you should be ok with only an inch.

Same goes for the brake lines between the master cylinder and the h-block (you should have enough play there too).

Make sure you don't tweak the throttle linkage also.

Go slow and do one sides lift first and then the other (not front to back)

Put duct tape over the holes in the frame for the body bolts behind the seats so you don't lose your new (or old) nuts/washers into the frame rail.

Good luck

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Is it for a V8 on I6 if its for an I6 you will need to reloate the cross member

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
With a 2" BL, I destroyed my shroud but had no problem with the fuel filler hose. I did have to lengthen the clutch rod, and don't forget to adjust the throttle linkage. I drove mine for awhile thinking the 35's installed with the lift really cut the power, turned out I was only getting a little over 1/2 throttle.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
THAT sounds like my conversion ..I got it all done after a month and the beer was cold I crank mine up an go to put it into gear ...NO WAYNENO...I had to do a new clutch rod then my throttle ......And I had to adjust the hole in my transfer case shifter about 3 times to get it correct.....And I added my fan shroud after the fact....