• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 Speedometer Drive Gear - Help!

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Need help, my NP205 won't drive the speedo leading me to believe that the speedometer drive gear (not the driven on the cable) is either stripped, the wrong one or missing. Does anyone know the correct part number, color, number of teeth to make it work on my EB? And does anyone know where to get one? Really want to get my spedometer working.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you pull the cable and look down inside with a light to see the gear you have now? Assuming there is one in the first place?

Where did you get the 205, and was it working before?

Paul

Ranchtruck

First result I pulled up on google:
http://www.quad4x4.com/qu20009.html
Apparently there's also a 9 tooth grey one

I wish I remembered which driven one I ended up using, but the speedo was dead on with the GPS, I was pleased. I had a 17,18,and 19 tooth that I swapped out until it read correct. I think it was the 19, but I don't know for sure.

OP
OP
Tedster100

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Can you pull the cable and look down inside with a light to see the gear you have now? Assuming there is one in the first place?

Where did you get the 205, and was it working before?

Paul

Yea, pulled the cable out last night. I can feel the gear on the inside and it's tight on the shaft and turning with the output shaft. Doesn't feel like the gear is damaged or teeth stipped or anything like that. Previouis owner must have had the same problem, found a post by Ohio Bronco 21 asking same question when I searched.

The T-Case has the retainer clip for the speedo cable so I'm thinking it's got to be a Ford case from what I've been able to find. It's not the screw in cable mount. The driven gear is on the cable, it just doesn't seem to make contact. It's almost like the drive gear is not large enough to contact the driven gear. I hate to pull the whole thing apart if I don't have to but I also want to get it working. T-Case is a 205 Serial #3 10 77 & assembly # D71A7A195AB if that helps. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!