• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 and J pattern Transfer case

mnido

I have a new NV3550 to install and currently have the J pattern transfer case. I am doing a body off build and will have just about everything new when complete. The J pattern seemed to work well prior to build. Don't know the history of the transfer case but assume it has been rebuilt. I am going to have have someone take apart, check, re-seal, then re-install. My question is: Would you recommend going to a T pattern or stick with a J ? I had planned doing a twin stick set-up. Also who around the So. Cal area can you recommend for a rebuild or exchange on the transfer case ?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Just put a twin stick shifter on it...JBFab makes a really nice one...there is a slight mod you need to do to the JBFab sticks to bolt it up to the NV3550/AA TC bracket that comes in the kit....John (JBFab) may be able to pre-tweak the sticks and modify the bracket for you as this is a very common swap. Just conatact him.

Unless there is a problem with the D20 there is no reason to replace it with another unit...especially a T-shift case--theres really no gain by going to a T-shift D20. A rebuild is pretty easy. If your not up to it, then any of the major parts suppliers will sell you a rebuild and take yours as a core for about $400 or so. A rebuild kit should be about $120-140 and the rebuild will take even a 1st timer well less than a day...a couple hours if you've done it before, plus cleaning of the case. HTH.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Just put a twin stick shifter on it...JBFab makes a really nice one...there is a slight mod you need to do to the JBFab sticks to bolt it up to the NV3550/AA TC bracket that comes in the kit....John (JBFab) may be able to pre-tweak the sticks and modify the bracket for you as this is a very common swap. Just conatact him.

Unless there is a problem with the D20 there is no reason to replace it with another unit...especially a T-shift case--theres really no gain by going to a T-shift D20. A rebuild is pretty easy. If your not up to it, then any of the major parts suppliers will sell you a rebuild and take yours as a core for about $400 or so. A rebuild kit should be about $120-140 and the rebuild will take even a 1st timer well less than a day...a couple hours if you've done it before, plus cleaning of the case. HTH.
I too am kinda sensitive about a search but here it goes: anyone out there have instructions for a first timer rebuilding a D20 ??