• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV4500 experts, leak from front seal, or sloppy fill:) never run?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi, need thoughts from NV4500 guys, after the NV4500 was sitting for a few years, brand new out of the crate, i filled it up a month ago per directions from AA with mopar fluid btw, with exact volume btw, through the top shifter boot cover assembly. That was time consuming as it drained through the passages very slowly and I recommend anyone in future just do it through factory fill plug.

Anyway, its been sitting for a month now, and I am finishing brake lines and notice a few drops coming from bottom front end of NV4500.

Web search on this leak location says the number reason for fluid on front end is broken shifter boot seal, which I did not touch other than to pour in the fluid. Might there just be some spillage from my fillage? I hope?? Overfill?? I used the volume AA said but I think that is just a little more than stock recommendation.

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had my front input shaft in/out a few times on my NV4500 and never had a leak issue, so hopefully for you it's just a sloppy fill job. I've put about 80k miles on mine in my F150 before I pulled it to put it into the EB, which has yet to happen, but I always just ran the GM oil (cheaper than the Mopar) up to the fill hole. Other than a little rattle in 5th due to a slightly worn mainshaft spline, ran great all that time.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, I was hoping that. My leak consist of just three drops off bottom front seem and nothing on ground. I'll pull shifter cover off and take a park. Just not what I wanted crawling under the beast!,!