• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil/water coming out exhaust ....

vtboy51

So I've had this problem for that past year (since I got the bronco). When I first start it up, oil/water liquid blows out the exhuast. It only seems to happen after its been parked for a bit. Thoughts?? I've only put on a few hundred miles so I can really determine if I'm burning oil.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

A little water can be completely normal.
Are you sure there is oil there?

I assumed oil because its pretty black liquid. Could that just be water mixing with build up in the old exhaust pipes from over the years?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yup, more than likely...put some miles on it, get it at operating temp for several hours THEN see if you've got what looks like oil coming out...here's hoping you're good!

doran4x

Contributor
It could be running rich. A little water is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Water is normal. Condensation of exhaust gasses. Hydrocarbons burn with air. The hydro part of hydrocarbon is hydrogen. Combined with oxygen you get H2O, water. Which can condense in a cold exhaust system and drip out.

Black stuff is probably soot. Common in a cold engine (especially with a carb) where raw carbon is left in the exhaust (the other half of the hydrocarbon fuel). Cold starts it is nearly impossible to get away from it.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yeah that's common. You should see how I keep the wife's ride sooted up when she parks to close;)

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
any blue smoke? that is the sign that oil is present in the exhaust.