• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil shaft fell in pan need help

jperry1290

Pulled my distributor to install new intake. I had a hard time getting the dizzy back in, but it did go in. I started up the engine and after about 5-10 sec I heard something go clang like an object fell in the pan. Engine ran 10-15 more sec before I could shut it off. I pulled the dizzy and it appears the oil shaft fell in the pan. How long can the engine run with no oil and be ok? Obviously the pan will be getting pulled. Can I reinstall the dizzy and put the oil shaft in after or oil shaft first and dizzy second? Engine is a 302 with stock dizzy

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Even without synthetic oil, running the engine at idle, you should be ok for that short amount of time. Wouldn't make a habit of it obviously.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
pull pan.remove drive shaft.put new shaft in with retainer on shaft.i say new because if if fell out while running probably broke.you can pull pump put new shaft in,or pull dist.just make sure pump still turns.AND REPLACE RETAINER.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There is a proper setting for the little retainer clip on the shaft. With the pump in and the shaft all the way into the pump, the clip should almost touch the block.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
tape a socket on an ext put it on a drill spin the oil pump shaft and prime the oil system then install the dizzy....I SAID TAPE THE SOCKET FER A REASON!!!!!!!