• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old school LED headlights

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
The bigger Holley gets, the less competition there will be to keep prices low and less inovation/competition from other upstart companies.

Hope it doesn't happen but it seems to with every merger & aquisition.

TTownEP

That is great, and it's crazy it took someone this long to manufacture something like it. I would feel very confident buying this with the Morimoto name behind them. Those guys definitely have the tools and expertise to design them with proper output.

Also, I worked at one of those companies on the list (APR), but left before Holley grabbed them in a package deal that included Flowmaster, Hurst, B&M, and Dinan.
I missed out on all those employee discounts for the Bronco, ha.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That is great, and it's crazy it took someone this long to manufacture something like it. I would feel very confident buying this with the Morimoto name behind them. Those guys definitely have the tools and expertise to design them with proper output.

Also, I worked at one of those companies on the list (APR), but left before Holley grabbed them in a package deal that included Flowmaster, Hurst, B&M, and Dinan.
I missed out on all those employee discounts for the Bronco, ha.

Dinan, SPAL Fans, and Classic Instruments were ones I was surprised to see on the list. I knew that Drake and Detroit Speed were recent acquisitions.

Since Holley wasn't at SEMA this year, and many of those brands are represented there, it now explains why there was so much blank space in the Central Hall area.

Todd Z.

eb-nutt1

I recently made a connection with a retired gentleman here in Central AL that is a wholesale dealer for the Holley conglomerate, he travels the southeast going to big shows/events selling parts...sells for less than Summit/Jegs, no taxes/fees and has had most everything I wanted in his warehouse so far. Will have to hit him up on a set of lights now, lol.

66broncofan

Contributor
See if you can work a mass buy on them.
I recently made a connection with a retired gentleman here in Central AL that is a wholesale dealer for the Holley conglomerate, he travels the southeast going to big shows/events selling parts...sells for less than Summit/Jegs, no taxes/fees and has had most everything I wanted in his warehouse so far. Will have to hit him up on a set of lights now, lol.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
It's about time! I've been wanted headlights just like these for years! Thank you for sharing the info and the link.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Can somebody do a short summary of what has been wrong about all the previous iterations of LED headlights? I have a bunch of people who aren't understanding why these are better than some of the previous offerings.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They looks like the classic light bulb in the classic color, not the modern white. They don't have the custom car look of alien eyes. They just look like original headlights, but have modern LEDs in them. And they fit stock headlight buckets without projecting past the retainers.

Think of it as throttle body EFI. It's better delivery of fuel in a modern form, but in a classic package that appears to still be a carburator.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
I like them but I can't get over the plastic lens, and the $400 priceÂ…..

i hear ya, especially for a reflector style headlight. Nothing will beat a projector LED or laser style LED, but i get how folks don't like the modern look on these classics. The grotes LED headlights are an affordable option. I'd love to see a light output comparison between the grotes and holleys. Based on the TRS review, the holleys have a more even spread. I'm running the grotes and for the cost, they work for me. I don't drive the bronco much at night. I think i paid $210 for the grotes.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here is another option. I ordered Hella H4 glass housings for $30/each. Then I picked out the LED bulbs I wanted and plugged them in. Bulbs were $40 for the pair. Nice stock looking LED solution for ~$100 with glass lens.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
They looks like the classic light bulb in the classic color, not the modern white. They don't have the custom car look of alien eyes. They just look like original headlights, but have modern LEDs in them. And they fit stock headlight buckets without projecting past the retainers.

Think of it as throttle body EFI. It's better delivery of fuel in a modern form, but in a classic package that appears to still be a carburator.

That sounds reasonable enough. I like the fact that they don't stick out so much. That always looks bizarre to me. Now what is all this about LED headlights generating a lot of heat? I thought one of the big points about LEDs is the lack of wasted energy in the form of heat. It is apparently bad enough that some applications with restricted air flow are not recommended. Totally out of left field for me. Fortunately not a problem with our application, BUT...

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
LED still generate heat. But much less for the amount of light output. The LED is a chip, as in computer chip. They can't run too hot or they fail. The Holley lights use the back of the housing with a finned heat sink to passively keep them cool. The retrofit bulbs into a housing don't take advantage of all that surface area. Most will need mini electric fans to cook heat sinks out the back of the bulbs. Yet another win for the Holley, better cooling design instead of mixing retrofit bulbs into a housing not designed for them.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Here is another option. I ordered Hella H4 glass housings for $30/each. Then I picked out the LED bulbs I wanted and plugged them in. Bulbs were $40 for the pair. Nice stock looking LED solution for ~$100 with glass lens.

the problem with that is that your hella halogen housing is not designed for an LED bulb. the LED bulb depending on its shape and size will not reflect properly in the housing causing a scatter of light and glare to oncoming traffic.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
the problem with that is that your hella halogen housing is not designed for an LED bulb. the LED bulb depending on its shape and size will not reflect properly in the housing causing a scatter of light and glare to oncoming traffic.

I haven't had any problem with that. I'm sure some bulbs would not behave properly but mine worked out fine. Pattern is just as crisp as it is with the halogen bulbs installed.