• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original color - value opinion

Stock Farm

Quick question, my 76 Bronco original color is Midnight Blue Metallic (S code) and one of the reasons I bought it is because I like this blue.

However, after looking at a lot of Broncos on the web I'm starting to like other colors...like brown, mustard, green, grey...

So my question - in the Bronco world, does a color change hurt the value?

I've don't many other cars (Porsche, Muscle cars...) and it does effect the value (currently working on a 73 Trans Am as well as the Bronco).

Thanks

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
To the purist yes it hurts value, I think even more so when you have "good" factory color. Midnight blue metallic is IMHO a great color. Does it need a total repaint? If you do a color swap it needs to be done all the way including engine bay, interior, etc.

Better suggestion, just buy another Bronco. It is hard to have just one. I never had a red one so I looked for a red one, now I have 4 red ones...it is addictive.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If it's a total stocker, then yes, original color is better. If it's modified much at all, original color means little or nothing.

But some colors are more sought after than others. If you change from Midnight Blue, a relatively rare and desirable color, to, say, Sequoia Brown, a fairly common and not that popular color to a lot of people, then it may affect value even on a modified Bronco. Or at best case might limit the potential buyers.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
A stocker in Raven Black, yes especially. I've come across two 100% complete 66' that now look like they could crawl up Mt. Everest, so original means more to some than others.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Like other have said if it is mostly stock, stick with the original color, if it is cut lifted and modified paint it what you want. Valve of stock original trucks will continue to go up, the more mods you do the value will flatten, just like Mustangs did.

OP
OP
S

Stock Farm

It's very original, even has all the smog gear (which has been refreshed and will go back on).
I am doing a 2 1/2" lift, no other modifications.

It's a body off restoration so will paint the I entire body off the frame.

Thanks for the replies so far and it's what I thought. But wanted to confirm as most of the stuff I see on the web is not stock so I thought maybe the Bronco community may not mind color changes as long as the truck looked good.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All matters to the buyer and what they are looking at. Original paint could bring the most as was said if the bronco is pretty much stock. Repaint well that can detract for a purist but nice paint does help sell.
In the end are you building to drive it or to sell it? If your driving it with no real plans to sell it paint it the color of your choice and be happy as it can always be repainted if some one wants the original color.
While I like original color for the most part it really comes down to over all condition vs actual color.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you paint it another color and dont strip the old paint off, it will eventually show through. so if i was a buyer i would want the original, not another color on top of original. i had a thread asking about colors a couple of weeks ago.