• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Harness W/ Holley HyperSpark Distributor, Coil and Capacitative Box

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Another thought, can I just keep the #915 Blk/Ylw hooked up the B+ of Alt since I have the yellow jumper already connected from the Alt plug to the B+? Or am I not thinking this through?

F

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Another thought, can I just keep the #915 Blk/Ylw hooked up the B+ of Alt since I have the yellow jumper already connected from the Alt plug to the B+? Or am I not thinking this through?

F
You only need one wire from the alternator B+ to the A terminal. Since you already have the yellow wire doing this, just remove the black/yellow wire, it's not needed.

EDIT: For anyone reading this in the future, only connect the #915 blk/yel to the A terminal of the alternator. Otherwise do not connect this wire to anything.

For disconnects, maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYR9HCV/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07XYR9HCVp13NParams&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExV0lKUzkxOVc2VVNaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjQ1MzYyMlUwUkdaN0pWUVNLVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDA2MzMxTzJBUEkzTk03N0RCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsMiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Disconnect-Vehicles-Waterproof-Isolator-Position/dp/B07HT19T5V/ref=asc_df_B07HT19T5V/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=316725397836&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18087528058826663039&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052612&hvtargid=pla-587054685735&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RYL9JYL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08RYL9JYL&pd_rd_w=T21nD&pf_rd_p=91afecf5-8b2e-41e2-9f11-dc6992c6eaa1&pd_rd_wg=yl3WK&pf_rd_r=3VWE29N5QEGG60ACWTP2&pd_rd_r=5f825bd5-761e-4150-a0d7-6430726e557c&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWlM2M1I2SFNXS0NKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjk4NjgzMlpXV1UwU0NKTjNJUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDgzNjIwM0hQSUJBT1hBTVFEVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited:
OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
You only need one wire from the alternator B+ to the A terminal. Since you already have the yellow wire doing this, just remove the black/yellow wire, it's not needed.

Yes, I do not need it for the 4G to work. And yes, I can delete it. But, if I already have it in place hooked up to the B+ side of the ALT, does this cause a problem? The #915 Blk/Ylw goes back to harness and connects to two wires, the #934 Yellow wire going to the ignition switch, and the #916 Blk/ Ylw that goes to fuse block. By eliminating the connection to the B+, is the Fuse Block then getting power from the Ign switch? Just trying to understand.

Thanks,

F

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
More thoughts.

The grounding straps fit nice from the side of the battery as shown in Fig. A. They can go directly to ALT bracket, engine block, and then to frame from block. Nice and clean.

In Fig. B, I'm proposing routes for the Main battery (+) lead in Blue (1), then a jumper to the Starter Solenoid Blue (2). I would prefer a jumper instead of running a full cable length from (+) of battery to Starter solenoid. Will this work or is there a downside to the jumper from the Battery isolator to S. Solenoid (Blue 2)? Aux (+) lead ( Grn 3) would go as shown.

Is the orange circled area a NO-NO? I mounted the Sniper coil and box not thinking about the high voltage from the coil. Am I going to get electrical interference? The coil wire will sit on top of the battery leads (+), and be close to Sniper CDI box. Was not thinking this part thru. Coil lead is thick, Ford racing quality. Hmm.

If I have to move coil, I can move it below the Starter Solenoid in Fig. B. Prefer not to. Err.

Does neg grounding cables need to go straight to frame, or can the stop 1st at a juncture? That's where the grey lines go in Fig. B.

I know it's compact, but I wanted fender relatively tidy.

Opinions? Advice?
58b91d7d1bd7f165f784511d8e2ed202.jpg
20e2a9e609184284b623458328a3bfe6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Yes, I do not need it for the 4G to work. And yes, I can delete it. But, if I already have it in place hooked up to the B+ side of the ALT, does this cause a problem? The #915 Blk/Ylw goes back to harness and connects to two wires, the #934 Yellow wire going to the ignition switch, and the #916 Blk/ Ylw that goes to fuse block. By eliminating the connection to the B+, is the Fuse Block then getting power from the Ign switch? Just trying to understand.

Page 74 in the painless manual is the most helpful.

#915 blk/yel hooked up to the B+ side of the alternator will be a major problem. You do not want this connected. That wire is connected (spliced) to #972 blk/yel, which goes through the ammeter in the dash, which then becomes wire #972 black, which then becomes #916 blk, and is connected back to the battery at the starter solenoid. #915 should only be connected either to the A terminal on the alternator (which you don't need, since you have the yellow wire), or to nothing. If you leave it on the B+ at the alternator, you could have a big issue if the 150a fuse blows. Now all of the alternator power will go through that small #915 wire and be a major problem. Just tape up the end of #915 and don't connect it to anything. Sorry about that in the previous diagram. I didn't realize that this wire was spliced into the painless harness already.

Wire #916 black will be connected at the positive connector block that you have, which then connects to the battery. That wire will go to your 75a fuse (as close as possible to your connector block), and then 916 goes to a splice, where it then becomes the #972 black wire that goes to the ammeter and a non-numbered yellow wire for the external voltage regulator. You don't need the yellow wire. After the ammeter, 972 blk becomes the #972 blk/yel wire, which then connects to your #934 yellow for the ignition switch, the #915 blk/yel that you don't want hooked up to anything, and the #916 blk/yel that goes to the fuse box for all of the 12V constant fuses. All of the 12V constant loads/sources that are needed come from that #916 black wire with the 75amp fuse. We don't want any of the alternator current going through the ammeter, since the 4G alternator puts out too much current for the wire size and length of wire. Your ammeter will still work on the dash gauge, but it's only going to show the current used (or current draw). It will never show charging. This is okay, it doesn't mean that the alternator is not working. It's just the way it's wired so that the big alternator won't cause a catastrophic exothermic heat event. It's neat that you will know how much power draw you are using, however. With the 3G/4G alternator, the best way to know if the alternator is working is to add a voltage gauge somewhere, or maybe you can read it from the Holley display? I'm not sure of it's capabilities.

The grounding straps fit nice from the side of the battery as shown in Fig. A. They can go directly to ALT bracket, engine block, and then to frame from block. Nice and clean.

Looks good so far. I would run those same straps from the Aux battery and main battery to the negative connector block. You could also go from the alternator bracket (instead of main battery) to the negative connector block.

In Fig. B, I'm proposing routes for the Main battery (+) lead in Blue (1), then a jumper to the Starter Solenoid Blue (2). I would prefer a jumper instead of running a full cable length from (+) of battery to Starter solenoid. Will this work or is there a downside to the jumper from the Battery isolator to S. Solenoid (Blue 2)? Aux (+) lead ( Grn 3) would go as shown.

That will work, no real issues other than making sure the connections are all tight. I also see a jumper to a connection block, with one red wire attached. I don't see a fuse anywhere on that wire.

Is the orange circled area a NO-NO? I mounted the Sniper coil and box not thinking about the high voltage from the coil. Am I going to get electrical interference? The coil wire will sit on top of the battery leads (+), and be close to Sniper CDI box. Was not thinking this part thru. Coil lead is thick, Ford racing quality. Hmm.

If I have to move coil, I can move it below the Starter Solenoid in Fig. B. Prefer not to. Err.

I'm not really sure. Distance is always a good thing, in my opinion. My coil is mounted similar, but I don't have a Holley computer. Do you have enough room to rotate the coil 180 degrees? Then you can route the high volt wire around behind the solenoids away from the computer.

Does neg grounding cables need to go straight to frame, or can the stop 1st at a juncture? That's where the grey lines go in Fig. B.

Direct to the battery is better in case any connections come loose, simply because there are fewer connections. It will work the way you propose also.

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Page 74 in the painless manual is the most helpful.

Thanks, I've studied that a lot, your explanations make a lot more sense.

"Looks good so far. I would run those same straps from the Aux battery and main battery to the negative connector block. You could also go from the alternator bracket (instead of main battery) to the negative connector block. "

I've updated Fig. B with #4 Red Circle. I was proposing this as neg battery connector. Is this what you were referring to as "negative connector block"?

"That will work, no real issues other than making sure the connections are all tight. I also see a jumper to a connection block, with one red wire attached. I don't see a fuse anywhere on that wire."

Correct, there will be 6 (+) leads connected, all with downstream fuses for their individual items: 6 relays from painless on two thermo resetting circuit breakers, 2 more for LED headlights with fuses in line, one to Vintage Air with fuse inline, and one to Sniper with fuse inline. Seems silly to have a fuse for that block when all lines are protected downstream. Am I needing a fuse there since it is exposed for safety purposes? How big? If I add all fuses down stream, that would be close to 150Amps. Isn't that overkill?

"I'm not really sure. Distance is always a good thing, in my opinion. My coil is mounted similar, but I don't have a Holley computer. Do you have enough room to rotate the coil 180 degrees? Then you can route the high volt wire around behind the solenoids away from the computer."

I have an email into Chris at EFIStystemPro, he knows Sniper well, hope to get answer from him. If not, and I get issues, I will move later. Is there any type of wire wrap or cable wrap that can decrease electrical interference? Like metal shielding? Hmm.

"Direct to the battery is better in case any connections come loose, simply because there are fewer connections. It will work the way you propose also."

There may be a way to mount the negative block with direct contact to fender instead of isolator. That could help.

Thx much for reply, I'm off to hard ware stores.

a801e6d9e85a985586e96d651dbf9e93.jpg

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I've updated Fig. B with #4 Red Circle. I was proposing this as neg battery connector. Is this what you were referring to as "negative connector block"?

Yes

Correct, there will be 6 (+) leads connected, all with downstream fuses for their individual items: 6 relays from painless on two thermo resetting circuit breakers, 2 more for LED headlights with fuses in line, one to Vintage Air with fuse inline, and one to Sniper with fuse inline. Seems silly to have a fuse for that block when all lines are protected downstream. Am I needing a fuse there since it is exposed for safety purposes? How big? If I add all fuses down stream, that would be close to 150Amps. Isn't that overkill?

Just making sure they are protected somewhere. Make sure any wires "upstream" of the fuses are protected from chafing or rubbing on something and creating a short to ground.

I prefer to mount a fuse block or panel there instead of the mutiple connection block. The fuse block gets the fuses as close as possible to the battery connection, limiting the amount of wire with full battery current potential. You then have all the fuses in one spot, instead of scattered downstream somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
813775e8fbd4734c480f12ff6a50dff6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
That looks nice and organized, thanks for pic

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Oops, did I cut one too many?

I was deleting the #957 wire to the (S) terminal, when I found that there were two #957 wires going to there. Both labeled #957, both state "ign module start signal source".
One was in the starter solenoid & maxi fuse loop, the other in ign module, but both are now clipped back for dead heading, can not identify which one was in which labelled group.

The "S" solenoid one I do not need, per previous discussion.

Do I need the 2nd one? For a start signal? Where to? And how do I discern which on is which? Seems really pointless to have two wires labelled the same, going to same terminal. I'm definitely missing something. Err. It's hot, time to go inside house. Ugh.

1aad7fac47ebc598d37ab1f2abca13bd.jpg

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
As far as I can tell from the Painless docs, you should be fine. That wire shows that it only goes from the solenoid to the Duraspark module.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But doesn't your Holley injection computer require a START-only signal? If so, are you getting it from another wire somewhere?

Interesting that there are two labelled the same, but I have not re-read the instructions lately to know what's what. Do you still have one of the heavier Red w/blue stripe wires to the S terminal? Is it marked something like "From NSS" or similar?

Paul

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
As far as I can tell from the Painless docs, you should be fine. That wire shows that it only goes from the solenoid to the Duraspark module.

I know, the Painless DOCs seem incomplete sometimes to me. Hard to tell where the other one went and what for. Thanks again Jdgephar for the help. You have been a great asset to me, if you're ever near the Rubicon, I owe you a 12 pack at least.

But doesn't your Holley injection computer require a START-only signal? If so, are you getting it from another wire somewhere?

Interesting that there are two labelled the same, but I have not re-read the instructions lately to know what's what. Do you still have one of the heavier Red w/blue stripe wires to the S terminal? Is it marked something like "From NSS" or similar?

Paul

Yes, there's #919 Red/ blu to the "S" terminal still in place, so that will get it to turn over to start. It's coming from the neutral safety switch which I have connected but made work in any gear so I can start while rock climbing if needed. Just weird that #957 has two labelled to same, I don't get it. Well, they are both dead headed now. Maybe Eric0o1 will chime in.

So close to being able to start up for the 1st time ever for me, 80's for the Bronco from what I can tell. :) Vrooom

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might be to cover the bases with different ignitions, different computer inputs, and whatever else might need a start signal to operate correctly.

Centech used to include two of the Purple wires (same "S" function as the Red w/blue Ford colors) because one was direct from the key for manual transmissions and the other was much longer and meant to be used with a neutral safety or clutch-interlock switch.

Paul

eric0o1

Oops, did I cut one too many?

I was deleting the #957 wire to the (S) terminal, when I found that there were two #957 wires going to there. Both labeled #957, both state "ign module start signal source".
One was in the starter solenoid & maxi fuse loop, the other in ign module, but both are now clipped back for dead heading, can not identify which one was in which labelled group.

The "S" solenoid one I do not need, per previous discussion.

Do I need the 2nd one? For a start signal? Where to? And how do I discern which on is which? Seems really pointless to have two wires labelled the same, going to same terminal. I'm definitely missing something. Err. It's hot, time to go inside house. Ugh.

1aad7fac47ebc598d37ab1f2abca13bd.jpg

There is only one wire in the kit that is printed #957, I believe you have both ends of the same wire.

T4x4R

Contributor
Might be to cover the bases with different ignitions, different computer inputs, and whatever else might need a start signal to operate correctly.

Centech used to include two of the Purple wires (same "S" function as the Red w/blue Ford colors) because one was direct from the key for manual transmissions and the other was much longer and meant to be used with a neutral safety or clutch-interlock switch.

Paul
Blast from the past in a post revival. Bronco Billy, Im doing the same wiring job, curious if you or anyone else had any conclusions and wrote down your final notes.

My setup:
Painless harness
Sniper EFI with hyperspark
Vintage Air
4G
Speed hut aftermarket gauges

From your wiring diagrams / photos and using the same reference material here is what ive come up with. I think from the post 919 and 957 are looped? I have both sets of wires coming out into my engine bay - obviously one set needs to go down to the NSS, Its the set that IS NOT coming off my ignition correct?

Does the reverse switch B+ wire 956 go down to the pigtails as well? Which wires do they hook up to, White/Red or Black/Red?
Does #916 blk/yellow go from the 70Amp fuse to the 4g connected to the same spot the yellow plug wire is connected?
Does #960 red get deleted with the 4g?

Jdephar you said the The Sniper EFI will be the only two wires going to the coil,

Just want to confirm I understand the Wire deletes / un used from the posts:
999 - grey/yellow IGN module coil
900 - blue - ignition module 12v source
954 - white black - electric choke B+
923 - green - ign coil
970 - brown - coil to starter sol

Thanks for the help!

Tom

Attachments

• tempImageq2sq3z.png
    tempImageq2sq3z.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImageJRBmSO.png
    tempImageJRBmSO.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImage3F7n2g.png
    tempImage3F7n2g.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImageFjNZpy.png
    tempImageFjNZpy.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Blast from the past in a post revival. Bronco Billy, Im doing the same wiring job, curious if you or anyone else had any conclusions and wrote down your final notes.

My setup:
Painless harness
Sniper EFI with hyperspark
Vintage Air
4G
Speed hut aftermarket gauges

From your wiring diagrams / photos and using the same reference material here is what ive come up with. I think from the post 919 and 957 are looped? I have both sets of wires coming out into my engine bay - obviously one set needs to go down to the NSS, Its the set that IS NOT coming off my ignition correct?
You won't need to connect 957 to the Sniper EFI, or to the starter solenoid post. It's only needed for the Duraspark module, which you are not using. 919 starts at your ignition switch, goes to the NSS, then comes back from the NSS and will provide 12V to the starter solenoid/relay (whatever your name preference is) on the "S" post (to start cranking the engine) when the transmission is in neutral, or the clutch pushed in.
Does the reverse switch B+ wire 956 go down to the pigtails as well? Which wires do they hook up to, White/Red or Black/Red?
#956 black/red should be the 12v positive to the reverse circuit. It's spliced from the orange/yellow turn signal flasher. There should be another #956 black/red that goes to the reverse lights. The reverse switch will have two terminals, and one end of the 956 goes to one terminal, and the other end of the 956 goes to the other terminal on the switch. The reverse switch should have two #956 black/red wires on it only.
Does #916 blk/yellow go from the 70Amp fuse to the 4g connected to the same spot the yellow plug wire is connected?
NO! Connect it to either the battery or the battery side of the starter solenoid/relay. Do not connect wire 915 to anything either!
Does #960 red get deleted with the 4g?
Yes, do not use the #960 red wire.
Jdephar you said the The Sniper EFI will be the only two wires going to the coil,

Just want to confirm I understand the Wire deletes / un used from the posts:
999 - grey/yellow IGN module coil
999 and 923 are the same electrical connection. They are the coil - wire. You can use either one to connect to the "coil -" wire on the sniper EFI wiring. I think the Sniper comes with it's own wires to use, so you can probably just delete 999 and 923. If you have a tachometer, you can use either 999 or 923 for the tach signal.

900 - blue - ignition module 12v source
Correct
954 - white black - electric choke B+
Not needed, but you can use it for anything you want 12V with the key in RUN. Maybe a CB or ham radio, USB charging port/Cig. lighter, running lights, etc.
923 - green - ign coil
See above
970 - brown - coil to starter sol
Correct
Thanks for the help!

Tom
e8c13ca11de1765c37505096a6d99dd1.jpg

Last edited: