• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Patriot fold out step & aux tank

Slick67

So I see the notation at the bottom of their page, saying that they won’t fit with an aux tank.

Likewise I know 1 of the specialty shops makes a custom aux tank that’s larger.
🤔
Has anybody seen if they would possibly make 1 that would work with these retractable side steps?

I’d like to have an emergency back-up 2 spare gallons even?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. They would just have to see where exactly it mounts, and custom make one from there. Probably best to mount the steps first, then let the custom tank maker put something together.
I’m sure I could search it, but do you have a link to the patriot steps?

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
My guess would be you’d have to have one custom made. The step brackets take up a quite a bit of space at the front and rear. Then the steps also need somewhere to go when retracted. There is room in between the swing arms that you could get possible close to 4 gals if someone was creative.

OP
OP
S

Slick67

My guess would be you’d have to have one custom made. The step brackets take up a quite a bit of space at the front and rear. Then the steps also need somewhere to go when retracted. There is room in between the swing arms that you could get possible close to 4 gals if someone was creative.
It’d be a great lil emergency tank…. I guess I need to wait till they are on then see if anybody wants to try to fab 1

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Good question. They would just have to see where exactly it mounts, and custom make one from there. Probably best to mount the steps first, then let the custom tank maker put something together.
I’m sure I could search it, but do you have a link to the patriot steps?
Thank you
I ditched the duplicate thread.
Do you recall, was it bc broncos who did the stainless aux tank that was like 15 gallons?

Weren’t they also making an increased capacity main tank too?

OP
OP
S

Slick67

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
So
Moving on, what would be an option FOR that, now useless fuel hole?

Do something like a 110 converter and have a power plug there. 😒 for no reason aside to fill the hole?
Or maybe add an air pump & have an air chuck there? -THAT may be a tight fit tho-
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I just don’t want to have it be there 100% for looks AND it’s gunna kill me to rip out a perfectly good & funtional (even the gauge) aux tank!

Contributor
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
So

Do something like a 110 converter and have a power plug there. 😒 for no reason aside to fill the hole?
Or maybe add an air pump & have an air chuck there? -THAT may be a tight fit tho-
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I just don’t want to have it be there 100% for looks AND it’s gunna kill me to rip out a perfectly good & funtional (even the gauge) aux tank!
I’d cut the filler neck down and then cap it off and leave the gas cap on it so it still looks correct from the outside.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you recall, was it bc broncos who did the stainless aux tank that was like 15 gallons?

Weren’t they also making an increased capacity main tank too?
Most of us had one at one point, but most of us have since ditched them for one reason or another. Probably availability combined with lack of demand, as manufacturers like NWMP/Sunset and Aero have both since discontinued their versions of the aux tanks. We kept one for a long time after they became scarce, but pretty sure they're all gone now.
Usually Aero is easy enough to deal with, so maybe they can still make one. I think member 904Bronco has an answer on that, as he's been in contact with them regularly over the years.

Good luck.

paul

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Most of us had one at one point, but most of us have since ditched them for one reason or another. Probably availability combined with lack of demand, as manufacturers like NWMP/Sunset and Aero have both since discontinued their versions of the aux tanks. We kept one for a long time after they became scarce, but pretty sure they're all gone now.
Usually Aero is easy enough to deal with, so maybe they can still make one. I think member 904Bronco has an answer on that, as he's been in contact with them regularly over the years.

Good luck.

paul
I think maybe the best thing to do would likely just use it as a port for an air hose…
😰
Alllll that fuss for someplace like 4-5 gallons & likley 1-2 grand to have made didn’t sound like a good idea to me.

So if I want side steps more than extra gas- I guess I’ll add an air pump.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
You could probably fab a after market small race gas tank in the middle once steps are installed. Creative routing filler tube and then small transfer pump to main tank.

thatarchitect

Contributor
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
So

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Modern diesel swap. One for diesel, one for DEF :ROFLMAO: