• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pneumatic Sheet Metal Weld Buster

Dinger

Loc.
Tallahassee
This will come as a huge surprise; I am not a sheet metal guy... at all...

Dumb question: Is this the right kind of tool for pneumatical chiseling through welds? And, assuming the best way to useful the right version of this tool is to cut the sheet metal close to the welded joint, then chisel the remaining welded piece off, right?

My ambition is well exceeding my knowledge and experience, and that is when things get REALLY fun! ;D

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You will want a rotobroach(spot weld cutter) and an air chisel to remove sheet metal panels. I clean up the weld area with a light sanding and mark each weld with a sharpie by putting a dot in the center of weld then drill a small indentation in it for the weld cutter to pilot on. Try not to drill all the way through as you only want to go through the first layer of metal. Than take your chisel and separate the pieces. Oh and have fun. Ken P>S> That tool you referenced is for knocking loose material off the surface for paint preparation.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
This will come as a huge surprise; I am not a sheet metal guy... at all...

Dumb question: Is this the right kind of tool for pneumatical chiseling through welds? And, assuming the best way to useful the right version of this tool is to cut the sheet metal close to the welded joint, then chisel the remaining welded piece off, right?

My ambition is well exceeding my knowledge and experience, and that is when things get REALLY fun! ;D

Thats the wrong tool. That tool is for cleaning arc welds and chipping paint on structural steel and ships.

Check harbor freight for air chisle

OP
OP
D

Dinger

Loc.
Tallahassee
The tool I showed also comes with a chisel. The picture doesn't show it. That's why I thought it would be the right tool. Anyway, thanks all! Appreciate the help.

Major Tom

Contributor
we used those tools to chip paint on the carrier I was on in the navy

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The OP's original link is also good for cleaning up axle housings and peening welds on Dana type axle housings and engine blocks & heads while they're cooling.

They're also good at removing qwik-set that some moron used to cover up a stone fireplace. Just be sure to cover moma's furniture first because it makes a mess. Ask me how I know this.....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
ooh, I bet Moma was pissed. You get a lick'en for that? We use needle scalers for prepping concrete columns before we wrap them with Glass and resin for earth quake retrofit.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I had sheets in place and it still was a mess. As a bonus though, I now have 100' of air hose......

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Buy the Grizzly spot weld cutter, Walmart has it. It is double ended on the cutter blade, works real well. I've only gone through two, and have replaced the PS rocker, floor pan, kick panel, 1st cross rail, etc. Stays shard a long time. :cool:

Attachments

• 4649f9f7-6843-4c3d-980b-122b07ef363a_1.1ba1490e38b0a865d1c598fc7eb911b0.jpg
    4649f9f7-6843-4c3d-980b-122b07ef363a_1.1ba1490e38b0a865d1c598fc7eb911b0.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
1/8" drill bits in bulk to drill the core of the world and a grinder to grind off the head. Thats fastest and easiest way I've found. Spot weld cutters do the same for a lot more money and they wear out as fast as a cheap drill bits.