• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Life of pneumatic tools at 120 PSI

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Standard shop air should be set at 90 PSI. I know many shops that go over that standard to have that extra punch with impact wrenches.

How long will it last at constant 120 PSI air pressure?

I'm talking about pneumatic die-grinders, cut off tools, body saws, drills, etc.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Most shops I've worked at the air is between 120-140. Good air tools and proper oiling is key to longevity. I have a Dynabrade DA at work that I've had almost three years and the only time I've oiled it was the first day I used it. After three years it's now starting to "sing" when used for long periods. I don't use oil in it because I don't want the contamination while prepping. I only expect three years for a DA for that reason. I've worked with alot of different bodymen and mechanics and many have air tools that are very old and banged up but they have lasted a very long time because they oil them regularly and buy name brand air tools.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 depends more on the quality of the tools and maybe a little maintenance every now and then.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Our shop has it even hotter. At times I have seen 180 PSI but usually a little over 150. Dozens of techs with dozens of air guns. Out of all these tools (that I know don't get oiled that often if at all) we only loose a gun every 2 years or so. These are neglected company owned tools, not tech owned stuff. I am surprised that tool life is that good.

My own stuff I usually back off to 120 (but will open the regulator when needed for a little extra grunt).
For stuff like inline and DA sanders I don't run that hot. I throttle the tools down with line pressure (not that pathetic adjuster on the tool). Which will have my shop pressure down around 60 PSI or so.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I have used a drawer full of air tools and never in 25 years have I had one break. I had a diegrinder come apart, but not fail to spin. I have only used a limited number of brands and feel I buy almost the best to last a long time. I do add a drop of oil the first time I used one that day and have a nice water separator at the compressor, again draining it everyday. Only time I will use more than a drop of oil is when I have a pesky helper that needs to go. I will squirt a lot of oil and then full blast the trigger pointing the exhaust in the direction of their leg. Usually they will leave then!

misterkeebler

our shop air compressor used to cut out at 175psi and we rarely had any issues but they were all quality tools but I know most never got oiled. Shop is dialed back down to 155psi now

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I regulate most of my shop outlets to 120-140, but some are full 175. I run all my tools on any of these and never have any issues.

I rarely oil most of them.

I have 30+ air tools which are a mix of everything from disposable HF cheap crap to aircraft repair and industrial production quality tools that cost $600+ each new.

The oil daily warnings is BS IMO. Like Allen said, on body tools, I intentionally try to never oil them as the oil can wreck havoc when it is spit onto your primer before paint!

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
How much PSI air do you folks use on a plasma cutter?
The owners manual says 90 PSI only.
My garage air compressor tops out at 155 PSI constant 120.
I'm thinking to put a regulator at one of the mostly used drops to control output. Air system is piped with 1" copper tube throughout garage.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I run most of my tools at 120. My plasma has it's own regulator and it stays at 70 most of the time, I only crank it up for thick metal (3/8"+) or if I have to do a lot of piercing with it.

Jim W.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
^^^^Same here, my Miller Plasma has its own regulator.

My 42 x 60 shop is piped with 3/4" black pipe with multiple drops throughout the shop (inside and out). The ones most commonly used near work benches have independent regulators / water separators at each drop.

I also have a couple retractable 50' hose reels (the inexpensive ones from HF work as good at the Cox brand I bought for my dad that cost 4x as much) mounted near the ceiling (one between two of the doors and one at the lift as well as a 25' on a manual reel next the compressor.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
^^^^Same here, my Miller Plasma has its own regulator.

independent regulators / water separators at each drop.

x2..on both points. And I have water seperators mounted right on my blast cabinet and my plasma cutter..

To the main topic..I run every air tool I own at my top shop pressure which is 150 psi.