• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

POR-15..whats the difference between the types?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
The "white" one are 4oz cans. It has been my experience that the small cans do not store well and dry into little can shaped bricks.

The "red" one is a pint and would be enough to do the entire inside and underside of your Bronco.

The black seems to cover the best of all of them. I think it has something to do with the pigment.

If you have more questions feel free to contact me directly. I've been using it for alooooong time as I was in Hawaii and rust prevails!

8)

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
There is no difference between the types in those links, just can size.

They have two basic types of POR-15 rust proofer. Silver and Black. The silver is just that, silver in color and has tiny metallic particles in it to help fill badly pitted areas. The black is just the plain POR. Read the Dos and Don't on their website, as well as application instructions. If you don't follow them precisely the coating will not work out as well. If your rust is really bad I would blast it first or at least wire brush the hell out of it first. Get it as clean as possible. Neutralize it really well with their metal prep and then coat it with the POR. Don't forget that it is UV sensitive, so if is somewhere in the visible area, you will want to top coat it with one of their color top coat products.

I think I have photos of what the silver looks like on my frame before I top coated it with chassi coat black. There is also a photo of a gas tank filler neck with the standard gloss black if you wish to see what that looks like as well.

Good Luck!

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
[quote author=HotWheels link=board=5;threadid=20015;start=0#msg153624 date=1058207797]
If you have more questions feel free to contact me directly. I've been using it for alooooong time as I was in Hawaii and rust prevails!

8)
[/quote]

So how much do you reckon i would need for the front part of the underbody and wheel wells? and the engine compartment?

also, can i just use any high Zinc content primer?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
1/2 pint should do the trick for you. Just remember to seal the can with plastic wrap for future use. I would ONLY use Metal Ready for the metal etching of the areas. Ensure that you sand the painted and smooth surfaces until they no longer shine. You really want to do the prep work right. It will look much nicer and last MUCH longer.

:D

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
[quote author=HotWheels link=board=5;threadid=20015;start=0#msg154030 date=1058290334]
1/2 pint should do the trick for you. Just remember to seal the can with plastic wrap for future use. I would ONLY use Metal Ready for the metal etching of the areas. Ensure that you sand the painted and smooth surfaces until they no longer shine. You really want to do the prep work right. It will look much nicer and last MUCH longer.

:D

[/quote]

Thanks hotwheels. So oem paint scuffed does for a good base? and i should NOT use my high Zinc primer? only etch the bare metal -whether it is a new patch panel or wire-brushed original-? what about them axles?