• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible Scam

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Got a very strange email today (copied and pasted below). I know its a scam, but pretty clever that some how they know that a year ago I was looking for '66-67 doors. Anybody else get anything like this?

From steve.j clark <trademanager_business@yahoo.com>
Subject: urgent inquiry: 66-67 doors $350
The items are still very much available.The 66-67 doors is quite expensive.We specialize on the originality.The minimum order is 3 pieces,you can state your final price to us.please do get back to us as soon as possible.

Just a heads up.
Now I've gotta go get that new-to-me 5.0L out of my truck-

BooRae

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Oh, the funnest thing is that there is a 'Minimum Order' of 3... Doors?
Would that be 2 drivers and 1 passenger's door?

BooRae

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I also like to specialize on the originality.

Seems legit to me ;D

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Poor grammer, punctuation, and inconsistant use of capitals, smells like a scam to me.... The urgent inquiry is also a popular ploy of a scam. If they could only learn english they could do much better at scamming money from people.

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
I got one about Dixie that was really, really good the other day. Now, keep in mind, between my dozen+ email addresses, I get about 300-400 spam emails a day. And this one still was good enough to get me to reply. After about 3 emails I got suspicious when they wanted to pay with a check. I just said cash only and that was the end of that.

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
$3.50 for a set of doors.....

Yea, that is what I was thinking. The minimum order of three would put it at 10.50 if I doing the math right. Always think that it would be cool to reply to the email and send a virus that would corrupt their hard drive. Or, offer to buy them and send monopoly money.

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
I saw a stat the other day from the year 2004 I think that said out of the 17 Billion emails that travel the world each day, 70% of them are crap adds/spams/scams etc.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I saw a stat the other day from the year 2004 I think that said out of the 17 Billion emails that travel the world each day, 70% of them are crap adds/spams/scams etc.

Wouldn't surprise me. But on the positive side of that, if you have ever signed up for a free trial of playboy.com's pay area, once you cancel your free trial, they keep sending you e-mails to come back and pay to join. You gotta love getting naked lady e-mails :-*

bjs254

Loc.
Newnan,GA
I got a email from a scammer. In short they will send me a cashiers check that is in a excessive amount for some reason and you mail them back the difference . problem is the cashiers check is phony

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
I got one about Dixie that was really, really good the other day. Now, keep in mind, between my dozen+ email addresses, I get about 300-400 spam emails a day. And this one still was good enough to get me to reply. After about 3 emails I got suspicious when they wanted to pay with a check. I just said cash only and that was the end of that.

Just fyi my gmail account gets very few spams a day unlike my msn account that gets a few hundred a day. Scammers are as common as spammers now, so be carefull.