• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Pump/alternator Mounting Woes

redvettemike

Contributor
I hate to admit it but when we pulled the p/s pump and alternator to replace them on this '77. I didn't take enough photos and now cannot figure out exactly how those items and their brackets go back on. Can any of you fine folks post a photo or two just showing those items on a V8 engine? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 77

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
That P/S bracket looks broken...
As many pictures that I took of my 77 build, there were no complete motor accessory pic's. Here is what I had:

Regarding the Alt, do you have an air pump/smog pump? The top bracket is different for that. It is cast rather than stamped steel. If you have the smog pump then the Alt would have a dual pulley. The Alt belt is driven by the crank and water pump, with the smog pump driven off the Alt.
No smog pump, then you have a stamped steel bracket, two bolts on the water pump, single pulley, and the alt is driven off the crank and water pump.
It is a little more involved with the smog pump as that bracket also bolts to the head and there is a belt tensioning bracket for the smog pump that bolts to the cast bracket.

Oh and I am not running a factory alt, in the picture it is a small case G3 Alt rated at 90 amps

Doug

Attachments

• Motor with Carb1.JPG
    Motor with Carb1.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Bronco belts1.jpg
    Bronco belts1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 40
  • Bronco belts2.jpg
    Bronco belts2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Bronco belts3.jpg
    Bronco belts3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
That pump bracket is broken. You are also missing the adjuster bracket and mounting stud and spacer.

Here is what an aftermarket setup looks like.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steering_Pump_Bracket_Kit

The adjuster bracket is the same for the aftermarket one or the original cast that you have.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Power_Steering_Pump_Adjusting_Bracket

Also in your 3rd pic it looks like you have the drag link on the wrong side of the main linkage. It should point forward.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Also in your 3rd pic it looks like you have the drag link on the wrong side of the main linkage. It should point forward.

Definitely. It's at the right angle, but facing the wrong way (if that kind of makes sense?) and could be dangerous if driven that way.

What you want is for the nut to be angled down and back, and the grease fitting to be angled upward and forward. Sort of point the grease fitting in the general area of the bumper and you'll have the right idea.

See the pic below:

Y to T style.jpg

Paul

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Thanks for the help. I think we have the p/s pump done. See pictures and advise if not (the p/s bracket is broken (as was most everything else on this Bronco.) The alternator bracket is a different story as we still need some guidance there.

As regards the drag link, the steering box is not in yet and that thing is just sort of laying up there. When we put the steering box in it will be aimed correctly (at least I think it will be.) Thanks much for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 26

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Good one Mike. Got us looking.
But that's what we get for acting on only half the info!:-[

Paul

broncobilly72

On the power steering bracket, the broken part thats missing bolts on to the lower part ofmthe pump to stabelize it. you may find that when you tighten your belts the pump may want to lean forward on the right side...i would go find an unbroken one. As for the alternator bracket, I don't know what you have, but it sure looks complicated and wrong. I went down to my local Mustang supply house and bought a nice chrome backet for munder twenty bucks.

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
We think we finally got it figured out. The alternator bracket looks as if is the one for a smog pump too. Tks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 34

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Yes, the alternator.bracket you have is also a bracket for the smog pump. I've had a couple of them over the years, but never any smog pump with them. A word of warning, if you plan on doing a body lift, that low mounting point on the alternator will cause the belt to rub on the lower radiator hose.

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
We plan no body lift so maybe we will get lucky and it will not rub (however, don't count on it.)

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I had no problem finding aluminum pump brackets on ebey for $50 or less. Just search Mustang power steering pump bracket. The original looks better than any after market ones.

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
I had no problem finding aluminum pump brackets on ebey for $50 or less. Just search Mustang power steering pump bracket. The original looks better than any after market ones.

Ok! I like the original ones also. i'll look.
Tks.