• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering - what could have gone wrong?

Stock Farm

I replaced my engine (to a Fox Body 5.0) and now the Power Steering is not working - it’s very hard; almost easier to turn when motor not running.

I thought it was the PS pump, installed a new one and same thing...could the box have broken?

I know anything is possible but seams unlikely that it would have broken just siting for a couple of months.

If broken, what could it be? Budget is tight with all the work that went into the 5.0, so hopping it’s simple and I’m missing something.

The pump is from a 1991 Chevy pick-up.

Please let me know your thoughts and what to check (I need to fix the fuel issue before restarting).

Thanks
Sonny

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I replaced my engine (to a Fox Body 5.0) and now the Power Steering is not working - it’s very hard; almost easier to turn when motor not running.

I thought it was the PS pump, installed a new one and same thing...could the box have broken?

I know anything is possible but seams unlikely that it would have broken just siting for a couple of months.

If broken, what could it be? Budget is tight with all the work that went into the 5.0, so hopping it’s simple and I’m missing something.

The pump is from a 1991 Chevy pick-up.

Please let me know your thoughts and what to check (I need to fix the fuel issue before restarting).

Thanks
Sonny

Other's here, smarter than me, will answer but I know that it can take quite awhile to get "all" of the air out of the fluid.
Jacked up and turning all the way back and forth is what is going to get the air out...but it can take awhile.
It may burp some fluid out while getting air out.
Power steering fluid is flammable.

JKH67302

Contributor
Those pumps have a pressure release valve that can stick causing the pump to stop pumping. While I was doing my swap I had this issue and my pump was dead, like it went out. I followed the steps in this article and at some point I freed the valve and had steering. Worth a shot to check it out, and as other have said air can be very hard to get out. This site has some good tips for that too.

https://benchworksteering.com/tech-talk/pressure-relief-valve/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hauq

Does the power steering pump turn the correct direction with the accessories? Just a thought.

OP
OP
S

Stock Farm

I believe it does spin in the right direction - if not, not sure how to route the belt to reverse it.

The pull has grooves and my understanding (which my be incorrect) is that will spin in the same direction as the crank.

Here’s a picture.

Attachments

• 1504BF68-5173-49DE-9705-834D9E28AA1D.jpg
    1504BF68-5173-49DE-9705-834D9E28AA1D.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 76

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Is that a serpentine belt ? Might be turning the pump the wrong direction -- ?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your lines are correct and the belt is turning in the correct direction. Hate to state the first question: Did your re-fill it when you replaced it? Did you bleed it correctly? Is the pulley actually turning the pump shaft? I'm grasping here.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 54

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
pull the return line and aim it into a bucket and crank it and see if it pumps. extend the hose if you need to.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your lines are correct and the belt is turning in the correct direction. Hate to state the first question: Did your re-fill it when you replaced it? Did you bleed it correctly? Is the pulley actually turning the pump shaft? I'm grasping here.

Looks to me the lines are reversed. High pressure line going to pump return, and low pressure line going to the back of the pump.

Or is it going to a cooler? Either way, the HP line from the back of the pump should go to the forward fitting on the box.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Looks to me the lines are reversed. High pressure line going to pump return, and low pressure line going to the back of the pump.

Or is it going to a cooler? Either way, the HP line from the back of the pump should go to the forward fitting on the box.

The lines are hooked up correctly. The port on the steering box closest to the firewall is the return, and he's obviously got that hose clamped to the return nipple on the pump.

OP
OP
S

Stock Farm

Solved (closing this out).

It was a bad pump, I would have NEVER guessed that I’d get two bad pumps out of the box...anything’s possible (both were rebuilt - AutoZone).

Thanks all

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Solved (closing this out).

It was a bad pump, I would have NEVER guessed that I’d get two bad pumps out of the box...anything’s possible (both were rebuilt - AutoZone).

Thanks all

good job.. always something