• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

question about VIN numbers matching

74BroncoLV

Loc.
Las Vegas (NW Area)
I have a 74 ford bronco explorer edition...supposed to be all still original stuff on it...only 26K documented miles

i took it for smog check here in las vegas and it failed all items hahahahah

mechanic looked at it and said he could fix it to pass as long as the rings werent bad BUT he did question the originality of the motor as HE SAID the vin number on the valve cover didnt latch the vehicle vin...does this sound possible? any insight?

it really looks and behaves original It was one owner

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
there are no vin numbers on the valve covers. the only way to check is the casting number on the block and they really aren't year specific.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your truck was here in California you would fail. in 1974 there were 2 versions a 49 state truck and a California truck. Your truck doesnt have electronic ignition and a smog pump so if its origional it is a 49 state truck and should be smogged as such. If he cross referenced it to a California truck it would fail. I have a California 1974 Explorer and when I got it back in 1978 it looked exactly like yours without the tire carrier. Medium Blue Metalic and Blue parchment interior.
welcome aboard.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is the mechanic the same person that smog tested it? Instead of looking for the VIN on the valve cover you might consider looking for a different mechanic.

75brnco

Check out registering the vehicle as a classic and you will not have to get it smogged.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Is the mechanic the same person that smog tested it? Instead of looking for the VIN on the valve cover you might consider looking for a different mechanic.

Or he could close the hood while that mechanic was looking for the vin on the valve cover and I bet the mechanic would pass a smog test then..;):D%)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It just means go find a smog mechanic in a shop thats been around for 40 years and the mechanic has to be older than your Bronco. Your Bronco should pass smog in Las Vegas very easily, may be with some minor adjustment to the timing and carb if necessary. Just stay away from the 90 day wonders at the lube and tune. They are looking for stickers and labels to have the computer tell them how to do their job. Your Bronco was built before smog tests and computers.
You may try stopping in to a speed shop or hot rod hangout and ask around where to go.