• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raptor Liner Color

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am getting ready to line the tub and was thinking about color. I am thinking that I will do the underside of the tub in black and the engine bay and inside tub in body color.

I know the colors UPOL has do not match exactly and the liner does not have to but I don't want a totally different look. Can you mix colors custom and has anyone here done it?

Has anyone used the Orange they sell? I am going with hugger orange from a 69 Camaro color chart. I wonder how close it will be?

Tonyduc

I did my bed with the Raptor Tintable (harder to find than Raptor already colored but I got it on Amazon). I went to NAPA with my paint code. You must get a urethane or polyester tints used in basecoat paints, no binders- I asked UPOL this question, below is a copy of their response. As far as underneath (and also engine compartments), I heard that most liners including Raptor will stain from oil and gas. Also, they don't have a very high heat tolerance. So for underneath I used Rustbullet as a primer coat and then Rustbullet Blackshell as a topcoat. Both are better with heat and staining. Had it on 6 months and so far so good.

From UPOL:
"The tints come in two ways. The tints from TCP are concentrated as are the tints from U-POL. You can also get urethane or polyester tints used in basecoat paints. They will mix using toner tints only and no binders. For any color you want matched you will want to to have an automotive paint supply store mix you up paint using a specific paint code. For these colors that are mixed for you they will be 100ml per bottle. A little more material than the concentrated pouches."

SDBMtber

I did the tintable raptor. Got some color custom mixed like Tony describes to add to it. I did the underside and inside or the tub, inside of front fenders and whole engine compartment area. Seems to be holding up just fine, applied about 18 months ago.

I also had some single stage of the same color mixed up at the same time. I painted my roll bar and dash with that. Seems to match close enough to me. Depends A LOT on lighting and angle. But it works for me. Some folks said you need to put a bunch of extra color into the tintable otherwise the shade will be lighter. Maybe so but I can’t tell! The base of the tintable is basically white. I mixed per the raptor instructions by weight.

See pic of inner tub raptor and roll bar single stage in same color.

Attachments

• 094581BC-3B9C-4297-8FBD-03CFFBFCE3C3.jpg
    094581BC-3B9C-4297-8FBD-03CFFBFCE3C3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 58

Dude 713

I just did mine a couple weeks ago and was real happy with it except for color match. I used left over base coat from the stripe I put on outside of body. It says use up to 10% color and that is what I used but it also says if your paint requires activator you have to add that. My paint was 1:1 so after I was done and paint didn't match I got to thinking about it and actually only used 5% paint the other 5% was activator so I think that was where I screwed up but I am still happy with the results. As far as the Hugger Orange (I love it) I used it for my pin stripe and it really pops.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
after thinking more about it and reading more posts, looking at pictures and weighing the options, I am going to stick with black. This is the look I am shooting for so I am good with this option.

Attachments

• orange crush.jpg
    orange crush.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 50

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i did my underside of the tub with black raptor. love it. i did the engine bay with black SS urethane. I wanted to be able to wipe clean and polish them inner fenders and firewall. I think its a more OEM look than having the inner fenders, core support, fire wall, etc.

Last summer i raptor lined the inside of my tub and tinted the kit with gecko green. Its bright and bad ass. i love the raptor product. I had my local paint shop mix me up just the toners but because they were phasing out that line of PPG they had to leave out a couple of the tint bases, but you wouldnt know the difference. You can mix with any 2 part system just have to add the reactor so that the paint you add for color will set up. They dont want you relaying on there hardner to work with your tint.